Not able to access certain websites

Cowcaster88

[H]ard|Gawd
Has any had this problem? The other day I came back to my computer and opened Outlook to get my email message. I sat there and sat there with no luck of getting the messages. So I thought "no big deal can't access the sever from Hotmail or Gmail." Then I fired up Firefox and tried to go directly to the website. No luck. Then I tried IE to just try another browser; that didn't do it either. I'm at a loss of things to try. I cleared the cache, ran spyware, and anti-virus.

I'm at a loss as to what to look at next. Any ideas would be great.

My apartment has cable internet from Charter, and then we have it networked with a wireless D-link router (802.11b).

What websites?
What does goind start->run->cmd
then typing
ping <website name> say?

i'm in st. louis and use charter cabel internet. the past few days i've been noticing some times where url's are not resolving, and after some checks it appears that charter's dns servers were either being fixed, upgraded, or something else that could cause it to go down temporarily.

i recommend power cycling your equipment (modem, router, and computer). wait a few minutes after returning power to equipment (modem, then router, then computer), and try connecting to a website. if no luck, just check it again later on in the day. if still having issues, just call charter.

this isn't an answer, just more of what i've also seen recently with the charter highspeed.

1) Check your hosts file. Its possible that something got into it and modified it.

2) Have you installed any antivirus / antispyware programs lately? I say this because I know that spybot's immunize feature inadverntly blocks some pages that i have needed to get to (i.e. turbo tax update site). If this is the case remove what you installed and try again.

Back