• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Not a good 2700k?

Joined
Aug 15, 2004
Messages
650
I can't get my 2700k to post at 5ghz without setting vcore to 1.44. Is that a dangerous voltage to run at? Do I have a crappy 2700k?

I've got HT on, C1E, Turbo, EIST off.
 
i wouldn't call it crappy, how much voltage does it take for 4.9ghz, or 4.8ghz? it could just be your clock wall.

afaik max voltage is 1.45v, but it could be 1.35v now, so i'd be careful
 
Not every chip is going to run over 5GHz, and actually its more like most of them will not. I'm not sure why/where people get the idea that every single chip should hit 5+. If you O/C by 1 GHz thats 4.9 turbo, thats like 25% over stock. I honestly doubt you would see any difference in day to day stuff between 4.8 and 5 anyways, except that pushing to 5 or over, you will notice a lot more heat due to increasing the voltage.
 
Mine runs rock solid at 4.8GHz / 1.368v / 65C full load. I can get it stable to 5GHz. It takes about 1.45v and bumps the temps to almost 80C. No thanks.

Not every SB is a 5GHz CPU. I don't think there's anything crappy about a 1300MHz overclock.
 
I'm struggling to get it stable at 4.8 at the moment. Takes 1.4v+ just to post. Temps are fine, low 70s is as bad as it gets running OCCT. Of course it only runs for a few seconds before the inevitable crash... :rolleyes: Thing just doesn't want to play nice. I understand only a tiny percentage are capable of low volt, cool 5.0ghz+, but I reserve the right to be disappointed ;).

General i7 OCing question: You're just supposed to bump up the multi until you can't post, THEN mess with vcore and nothin else, correct?
 
Back
Top