Norton Partition Magic 8.x

DarkCyber

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok, I've got a question here. I've used Partition Magic numerous times over the years to resize partitions and it works great. But I've run into a interesting problem. I have a pc that has a 40 gig hd in it. I have C: partition as a 5 gig partition and the D: as a 35 gig one. When I run Partition Magic and go through the resize wizard it shows the max size of my C: partition as like 4.9 gig and also that is the max size it can go.

Any suggestions on why this can't go any higher? I only have like 250 mb of space left on my C: partition and my D: has like 2.5 gigs of space. So, there is space there to take from D: and add to C:.

I'm losted...help appreciated.

DarkCyber said:
Ok, I've got a question here. I've used Partition Magic numerous times over the years to resize partitions and it works great. But I've run into a interesting problem. I have a pc that has a 40 gig hd in it. I have C: partition as a 5 gig partition and the D: as a 35 gig one. When I run Partition Magic and go through the resize wizard it shows the max size of my C: partition as like 4.9 gig and also that is the max size it can go.

Any suggestions on why this can't go any higher? I only have like 250 mb of space left on my C: partition and my D: has like 2.5 gigs of space. So, there is space there to take from D: and add to C:.

I'm losted...help appreciated.

You have to make D: smaller first.....
At present you don't have any un-allocated space.
Make D: smaller.
Leave the program and reboot the computer - might not be necessary, I'm just anal sometimes.
Re size C:

done

rodsfree said:
You have to make D: smaller first.....
At present you don't have any un-allocated space.
Make D: smaller.
Leave the program and reboot the computer - might not be necessary, I'm just anal sometimes.
Re size C:

done

Ok, I'm tyring to understand this here. I have 2.5 gigs of space that is currently free on the D: partition, but you're saying that isn't counting as un-allocated space...correct?

What's really confusing me here is that I've done this numerous times, with basically the same type setup and Partition Magic has just taken the space from a D: partition and resized it. But I have had considerably more space on D: in those cases. Maybe 2.5 gig isn't enough space.

I just did it a few days ago on this very pc here. My C: partition was a 10 gig and my D: had 25 gigs of free space. I just upped the C: to 20 gigs and PM just took that extra 10 gigs off of the D:

What do you mean make D: smaller...how?

DarkCyber said:
Ok, I'm tyring to understand this here. I have 2.5 gigs of space that is currently free on the D: partition, but you're saying that isn't counting as un-allocated space...correct?

What's really confusing me here is that I've done this numerous times, with basically the same type setup and Partition Magic has just taken the space from a D: partition and resized it. But I have had considerably more space on D: in those cases. Maybe 2.5 gig isn't enough space.

I just did it a few days ago on this very pc here. My C: partition was a 10 gig and my D: had 25 gigs of free space. I just upped the C: to 20 gigs and PM just took that extra 10 gigs off of the D:

What do you mean make D: smaller...how?

Not real familiar with your version....
My version is from before Norton bought Partition Magic.
I have to resize a partition smaller to increase the amount of unallocated space before I can make a different partition larger.

Read the help for it.....
And it might require a certain amount of free space to do the resize.

Worst come to worst...$50.00 will get you an 80GB drive. ;)

rodsfree is right. You will need to create some unallocated space before enlarging your C partition. I hope some of the people from the OS forum read this, who still insist on making ridiculously small system volumes. :rolleyes:

there was a redistribute freespace option at some point I think
if they got rid of that they have already improved the product :p

as pointed out resize the D:\ partition reboot
move the D:\ partition to the end of the space creating a gap next to C:\ reboot
enlarge C:\ reboot

always do one thing at a time and apply the changes
99% of the foulups occur when more than one task is involved and it hangs, then someone gets the bright idea to reboot and its hosed

and never use the merge option

^ ;)

yeh I just fired up Powerquest Partition Magic 7.0 and there is the redistribute freespace button

count yourself lucky you havent run afoul of it already and do it all one step at a time manually from here on out, the small time invested in reboots (the tasks take the same amount of time either way) is cheap insurance

done that way Ive never had it foul up
but Ive seen countless "Help my filesystem is hosed" threads where they were doing multiples, merges, ect.

Well, I got to thinking after I posted that maybe 2.5 gigs on D: was not enough free space to allow PM to take space away from D: and add it to C:.

So, I guess first I need to clean out some space on D: and then try these suggestions.

This pc is an old P-III 450 mhz with a 40 gig hd and I could stick another hd in there, but this is a critical pc and I've learned over the years (to many times the hard way) that if a pc is working...don't screw with the hardware. So, I'm just going to try doing a resize if I can...if not...it will just stay like it is :)

Thanks for the suggestions...

Have you thaought about using Ghost to move the entire drive image to a new larger drive?

Then you'd be able to have more room and use the orginal as a backup, just in case.

One thing to check on might be what partition you're changing. One of the things with Windows partitions is that there are active partitions and extended partitions. What may be happening is that you're changing the size of the D: partition but not the extended partition that D: is on. If you look in the Partition magic Window, there is usually a blue partition behind your D: partition. This is the extended partition and must be resized before you can add on to your C:.

Good Luck.

Back