Norton 9.0 Small Business different than Norton Corporate 9.0?

• Thread starter Deleted member 19858
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 19858

I need Antivirus for my server as well as 3 other computers that I have so I am going to get a 5 pack of Norton Corporate. I have used Norton Corporate 8.1 and my previous job and liked it a lot. Is there any difference between the Small Business version of 9.0 and Norton Corporate 9.0? If so what is the main difference. I am looking to buy it here for $186.

Also the server is a mail, SQL, and IIS server. All of the desktops are not connected to the same network so I do not need the ability to push clients or updates which I know Corp does.

The regular small business one does not work with Exchange and is much cheaper. I cant afford the small business with groupware which would cover Exchange so apparently I will have to just scan at the desktop level.

Not quite sure why you'd pick Norton over Mcafee or Trend Micro in the first place.

Because Trendmicro isnt good and neither is McAfee in my opinion

SnowPunk98 said:
I need Antivirus for my server as well as 3 other computers that I have so I am going to get a 5 pack of Norton Corporate. I have used Norton Corporate 8.1 and my previous job and liked it a lot. Is there any difference between the Small Business version of 9.0 and Norton Corporate 9.0? If so what is the main difference. I am looking to buy it here for $186.

Also the server is a mail, SQL, and IIS server. All of the desktops are not connected to the same network so I do not need the ability to push clients or updates which I know Corp does.

The regular small business one does not work with Exchange and is much cheaper. I cant afford the small business with groupware which would cover Exchange so apparently I will have to just scan at the desktop level.

Running AD/mail/SQL, and IIS...does that mean you're running Small Business Server? I highly highly highly recommend you get the full version which includes Exchange filtering....because you need to exclude the Exchange directories, including the "M" drive, from the server AVs real time file protection...so your E2K is now vulnerable, by the time the desktop real time file protection snags it...might be too late.

I believe the difference between SBE and CE is really just a licensing/marketing thing.

"Not quite sure why you'd pick Norton over Mcafee or Trend Micro in the first place."

Because Symantec business grade AV's are fantastic, the management console, deploying over networks, and the effectiveness of them...far superior to Symantecs home consumer grade off the shelf components (which I consider bloated). SBE and CE are fantastic, low resource hit, very effective.

I've dealt with McAfees corporate product on several networks...<puke> , just as useless as their home retail product IMO.

Trends stuff is pretty good..but for business networks, I've not found anything as effective management wise as Symantec product with the management console.

I have not encountered one company using Norton Virus protection for their network. Mcafee has undergone a huge turn around in their enterprise software in the past year and all networks I deal with use it.

I am running SBS temporally however as soon as I get the hardware upgrade finished on my main server I am just going to switch to Windows 2003 Standard, Exchange 2003 Enterprise, SQL 2000, and IIS because I am not very impressed with SBS and like to have full control over everything installed.

With the Exchange 2003 install it does not assign a M drive like 2000 does. You can do a reg hack to assign it a drive letter but MS removed that features because of the problems it caused.

I would like to be able to get the Exchange version but its double the cost of the standard version. I simply cant afford to spend that might right now and Even the 185 is gonna be hard. Also I only have 1 exchange server which means the other 4 licenses would be no different than the standard version. So basically its like I am paying double the cost for 1 extra feature.

I'm glad you also agree with me on Symantec. I currently work as a network analyst and we are using McAfee VirusScan 7.1 on all the desktops and GroupShield on the Exchange server. I personally do not like either of them and they make feel uneasy. I used Trendmicro at another job for a trial period and it looked really poor. Symantec Corp 8.1 is the best by far I have ever used which was much better than 7.6. I am assuming that 9.0 would offer more than 7.6 and 8.1 and would not disappoint.

I'm a big fan of SBS. Of course it depends on the size of your organization, but seriously...with the horsepower of todays computers, it really runs great. Long as you have "real" servers. On the flip side, I've seen people try to run it on "budget servers", you know, Celeron processors, IDE hard drives, inadequate RAM, etc. I'm a firm believer in lots of RAM (hey, it's dirt cheap these days), SCSI drives, RAID 5, etc. Have done quite a few SBS implementations, fantastic package IMO. Take the price of SBS, and compare it to the price of stand alone server/exchange/SQL, and I don't believe you can get the shared modem product separately, but people love that feature.

Is your Exchange server running public (port 25 out there?) Or do you currently use the POP connector (better choice IMO, as you can leave the door shut, your Exch server is nice and secure)

As for the licensing...I don't look at it like you're wasting 4x licenses. Exchange agents, as I'm sure you're aware of, can get quite pricey. Look at backup agents for Exch, or SQL, Veritas BE, they're 550 bucks a pop! To me it's just the cost of protecting your mail server...what's the price of protection? Reaching out on a limb here, are you a non-profit org? Hinting at something like techsoup.org

I haven't seen version 9.0 in the flesh yet, but I'm doing an upgrade at an insurance agency client of mine later this week, from 8.1 to 9.0. They're not running Exchange...so this will be an important upgrade for them, because one of the big differences that I've read about in version 9...is much deeper reaching POP3 internet mail protection. Although to be honest with you, I've not see prior version of CE let down any of my clients anyways, they still caught the buggers in pop3 mail.

I actually got the Microsoft Action Pack Subscription so I have all kinda of licenses. SBS is good especially for the price however I just like being able to have more control with doing things.

My main server is dual 1.2GHz Thunderbirds on a MSI K7D Master-L, 1GB registered ECC PC2100, 40GB IDE boot, 18GB 10k SCSI RAID 1 for data, Adaptec 19160 SCSI card, 520w PSU, tape backup drive using Veritas BackupExec 9.1.

I am not non-profit so I cant go that route. What I am hoping to do once I get my real server up is use RPC over HTTPS so it will be like being on the domain since I am always at home.

For the past year and a half I was just running a server antivirus that didn't do exchange and have been fine. I always keep up to date with patches and scan a lot.

Yup gotta love Action Pack!

How many peeps on the domain?

Is the Exch server live? Meaning, MX record pointing to the IP, port 25 forwarded on your firewall? Or are you running Exchange only internally?

No one really logs onto the domain, its mainly for a web server but uses SQL to power it and Exchange for the mail. The only time people connect is when they wanna get their mail and thats about it.

DNS MX record points to the server IP and thats it right now. I am gonna be adding a simple Linksys router to act as the firewall which is better than nothing. Once I have the server up and running I am going to set it up like below

ISP -> Cisco 1601 -> switch -> Linksys BEFSR41 -> my server and just have it forward 25, 110, 443, etc to my server IP

enforcer17 said:
I have not encountered one company using Norton Virus protection for their network. Mcafee has undergone a huge turn around in their enterprise software in the past year and all networks I deal with use it.
I've deployed Symantec Enterprise Edition on a LAN of several hundred client nodes. I like the Symantec Enterprise Management Interface (MMC). It allows one to fully manage all clients & av servers from one Admin console without ever having to touch the clients. The auto install of clients as new workstations are brought on the network is nice too.

I have used CA Inoculan before and was not impressed. I have never used any McAfee Enterprise based products. I wouldn't mind trying them out if they had a system that can fully manage all nodes, client installs, severs, & dat updates from a central Admin console....

That is the best thing about Norton is the admin console I think. McAfee has the ability to push an agent to desktops but not the actual client. Their console is called ePolicy Orchestrator which I am currently setting up to deploy to about 150 computers over frame relay. I have set the whole thing up which was pretty easy to do but cant even be compared to Norton.

McAfee's networked solution...man I've had problems with that in the past. Prior to eOrchestrator, they had this funky console, in which you had to install an executable on the clients which put in a process called "brad32.exe"...which really hung up a lot of boxes on bootup.

Not impressed with the new version either.

SnowPunk, you not behind a router now? Or are you using ISA?

The server isnt currently behind a router however it will be setup like I mentioned above this weekend. I dont have a seperate box to install ISA on.

SnowPunk98 said:
The server isnt currently behind a router however it will be setup like I mentioned above this weekend. I dont have a seperate box to install ISA on.

Ack!
:eek: You're a brave man, I wouldn't have a box on the internet without a firewall for 30 seconds.

ISA runs on the same box, you just have 2x NICs, one WAN uplinking to the broadband modem, or router if you wish, and one LAN uplinking to your switch.

enforcer17 said:

Well ... Mine does and we haven't had an infection in 3 years.

So that makes 1 now :). lol.

Brave no however I wasnt always a network analyst like I am now lol. Looking back I was a fool to not put something in place. One of the main reasons I did not do so before is unfortunatly the server is not on a network I admin and they did not want anything in place...

As far as the ISA what could it do for me that would be of a big benefit? Also I thuoght you had to have ISA on a seperate box in front of the server.

I would go with NOD32 Enterprise Edition. I know somebody here or at Genmay got a better deal from the folks at NOD then he could from Symantec.

Ice Czar said:
NOD32 Enterprise Edition comes with NOD32 Remote Administrator

Enables an administrator to manage large installations of NOD32 antivirus system in large corporate networks.

Remote Administrator White Paper

Features and benefits:

centralized NOD32 antivirus management increasing antivirus protection effectiveness and reducing corporate security costs
automatic NOD32 antivirus system updates keeping your corporate network secure
fast virus infiltration localization and virus clean-up, thanks to advanced monitoring and reporting tools
remote installation of NOD32 client antivirus systems enabling fast antivirus protection rollout
centralized NOD32 antivirus management of multiple locations and LAN's within your enterprise computer network
automatic and custom report generation giving you an overview on NOD32 antivirus system activities and helping you maintain a high level of data integrity in your network
remote NOD32 client configuration reducing administration and maintenance costs
filling holes in your antivirus protection by searching for unprotected computers in your network
RA server load distribution increasing scalability
multiple remote installation methods for on-line and off-line NOD32 client installation
mobile user features for better mobile user antivirus protection
virus infiltration history helping you strengthen your antivirus protection strategy.

now I havent actually tried it the Remote Administrator, but the "regular" NOD32 is what is supplied to be managed, and factor in its light footprint on system resources times the number of comupters...

Ive never even heard of NOD nor does it look like it work with Exchange. If I am gonna spend over $150 for antivirus I am going to go with Symantec, a company I trust.

SnowPunk98 said:
Brave no however I wasnt always a network analyst like I am now lol. Looking back I was a fool to not put something in place. One of the main reasons I did not do so before is unfortunatly the server is not on a network I admin and they did not want anything in place...

As far as the ISA what could it do for me that would be of a big benefit? Also I thuoght you had to have ISA on a seperate box in front of the server.

ISA is a VERY powerful, yet somewhat complicated new version of Microsofts Proxy. It's very cool, it comes with SBS2000, and SBS2003 Premium.

It runs on the SBS box itself, and you use 2x NICs in your server.

Fully certified ISCA firewall, certified the first day of release.

SnowPunk98 said:
Ive never even heard of NOD nor does it look like it work with Exchange. If I am gonna spend over $150 for antivirus I am going to go with Symantec, a company I trust.

Eset NOD32, we're a reseller. I use it for my stand alone clients, or peer to peer networks where they're too small or have no server to run Symantecs Corporate Edition. It's obtained the higest rating of any antivirus product over at virusbulletin.com

Very low system resource hit, and again, the highest catch rate of all products from virusbulletin.com

As for larger networks, Symantec Corp Edition is still my preferred choice because of it's management console, and I still love the product for large networks. But Eset really ramped up with remote administrator console this year...so it's starting to become a close race. I have NFR copies of both...and on my home LAN (which is built around an SBS2000 server)...I run NOD32.

They often have several updates per day. They are less expensive then Symantec, check them out at www.nod32.com They have a 30 day trial.

They've not been a big name in the United States, but this year, their marketing is reaching out over here....you'll see/hear the name more often soon.

Checking nod32 out right now, if I am concerned only about 1 server with Exchange would nod32 2.0 work for me? It says it can be loaded on Windows 2003 so thats great but will the standard version work for Exchange? It looks like they only have 1 product that does everything?

YeOldeStonecat said:
ISA is a VERY powerful, yet somewhat complicated new version of Microsofts Proxy. It's very cool, it comes with SBS2000, and SBS2003 Premium.

It runs on the SBS box itself, and you use 2x NICs in your server.

Fully certified ISCA firewall, certified the first day of release.

Yeah when blaster hit ... our ISA box just sat there as if nothing was going on ... not a single machine got hit with blaster in our network.

Maybe I should throw ISA on the box then, I mean I have the software why not use it right?

I talked to someone at Nod32 this morning and the woman I talked to was completely unprofessional and didn't really seem to know what she was talking about. Also to cover Windows 2003 and Exchange 2003 with up to 25 mailboxes she wanted to charge me $315.

With that Small Business with groupware 9.0 with 5 users it would basically cover the exchange server and all the mailboxes and 4 other workstations right?

link

With NOD32 there is an Exchange Agent that is separate, just like all other antivirus platforms.

If you're considering ISA....read up on it first, don't "wing it". There's also the firewall client that gets installed on each workstation, which goes hand in hand with it, to redirect winsock compliant software.

Can try contacting one of the main resellers near you, bummer that sales rep wasn't professional, I've only dealt with their US sales rep when we were applying to be a reseller.

"Yes" regarding your Symantec question....1x Server itself (just the regular antivirus), 1x Exchange plugin, and 4x other rigs...regular antivirus.

So then with that 5 user Groupware one from Symantec since the Exchange server is the only server I have I only use 1 license on that and it covers an infinite about of mailboxes right.

Then with the other 4 licenses I can just install them on the workstations.

SnowPunk98 said:
So then with that 5 user Groupware one from Symantec since the Exchange server is the only server I have I only use 1 license on that and it covers an infinite about of mailboxes right.

Then with the other 4 licenses I can just install them on the workstations.

Hmmm...I never tried to get around that. I've always had say....a 50 user network, including servers....so purchased a 50 user pack assuming something like 47 clients and 47 mailboxes. Never wondered if the Exchange plugin was limited to the same CALs as the overall node licenses.

So you're asking...if you bought a 5 user pack, and had an Exchange Server with say 20 mailboxes..would the Exchange plugin still cover 20 mailboxes? I don't know the answer to that for sure with the new version 9.0....with older versions...yes that would have worked. But with 9.0, I've not done the Exchange component on it yet.

Yea because basically the Exchange server I have is just an IIS server for people to get to my website. The Exchange mailboxes there are just for the site so its not actual users logging into the domain or anything to pick up their mail with a client.

So basically if I were to put 1 license on the exchange server which is colocation and the 4 other licenseses on computers I have at home would that work and be legal. There typically are not more than 1 person connecting at once to get their mail however I need to be sure that it would work this way and that all the boxes were covered.

Yesterday I called Symantec to get some information on licensing. Basically if I buy the small business with groupware with 5 licenses I could load it on my exchange server and it would cover an unlimited amount of mailboxes. I could then load the remaining 4 licenses on whatever workstations/servers that I wanted.

He also said that there is really no difference between Norton Corporate 9.0 and Small Business 9.0. The main difference is that SB lets you buy 5 as a minimum and Corp is a minimum of 10.

I have decided that it will be SB 9.0 with or without groupware depending on what I can afford. I don't know if there is a big enough benefit to getting the one with Groupware since I have a very small Exchange server and it costs so much. I have been running antivirus for about a year and a half without scanning mail and have been fine so I see no reason to change.

I just upgrade a large insurance firms network from 8.1 to 9.0 today.....was quite impressed with some of the new features in 9.0...

Cool did you happen to do 9.0 with Exchange? I am gonna break down and buy something tomorrow probably the one without groupware...

SnowPunk98 said:
Cool did you happen to do 9.0 with Exchange? I am gonna break down and buy something tomorrow probably the one without groupware...

No they don't use Exchange, most insurance companies have mail integrated into their main application, WinTAM in this case.

I've put Symantecs prior Exchange filtering on several times though. Virus protection is great, the spam filtering is somewhat high maintenance...but works pretty well.

I think today I am gonna buy the standard version without Exchange protection. Most of the mailboxes only I check so as long as I scan at the client level I should be fine.

Standard version also dropped in price to $169 which is nice.

Back