Noob vpn setup

Foz2001

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi Guys

I just setup a vpn on my asus rt-n66u router. I used ddns as my ISP provides dynamic up address. I followed the manufacturers setup instructions and it seems to be setup.

I think I was under the wrong thinking in regards to a vpn. I was looking to set it up so I could have access to region blocked content as well as encrypt my traffic. However it looks like I would have to subscribe to a 3rd party company in order to get a remote IP address?

If this is true what are the benefits of having my own vpn at home?

Thank you!

Last edited:
That is true, you typically have to pay for a VPN service from a 3rd party, although there are some "free" ones, but I wouldn't expect much with them.

A VPN will allow to not only appear as though you are in a different location but all of the traffic between your local computer and the VPN will be encrypted, providing a certain level of security and anonymity, depending on the provider and circumstances.

That is true, you typically have to pay for a VPN service from a 3rd party, although there are some "free" ones, but I wouldn't expect much with them.

A VPN will allow to not only appear as though you are in a different location but all of the traffic between your local computer and the VPN will be encrypted, providing a certain level of security and anonymity, depending on the provider and circumstances.

These benefits seem to be only for the device connected remotely to the vpn. If it is connected in my case locally it doesn't seem to do much for me. Or am I missing something?

These benefits seem to be only for the device connected remotely to the vpn. If it is connected in my case locally it doesn't seem to do much for me. Or am I missing something?

VPNing from your local PC to your Router offers you no benefits whatsoever unless maybe you have an open wireless and don't wish to use a password for whatever reason, but want to connect securely to it yourself. Also the side benefit of having a VPN server is that you can connect anywhere and be on your own local network, basically if you were at work or a college you could VPN home securely and access your local network while all the while securely communicating where your IP now becomes that of your home network.

What you want is to purchase a VPN client service from a provider. This is what people are looking for trying to stay somewhat anonymous from their ISP or anyone else for that matter.

Back