noob raid 1 questions

marcusicp

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 20, 2003
Messages
422
If I have my OS installed on a raid 1 in hotswap bays and one dies can I just pull the dead one out and put the new one in and everything will run as if nothing happend? Will the OS run fine on one drive untill I can change it? Will I need to do anything other then switching the drive? Also do the drives need to be the exact same or just same size for a raid 1?Thanks.
 
If I have my OS installed on a raid 1 in hotswap bays and one dies can I just pull the dead one out and put the new one in and everything will run as if nothing happend? Will the OS run fine on one drive untill I can change it?
That is generally the idea of RAID-1. What exactly happens depends a lot on your RAID implementaiton.

Will I need to do anything other then switching the drive?
Ideally the RAID controller will automaticall rebuild the array, however in practise you may need to manually remind it to do this. Also this varies from one controller to another.
Also do the drives need to be the exact same or just same size for a raid 1?Thanks.
Depending on the implementation, they do not even need to be the same size. If I had the choice, I would go with drives from the same manufacturer, size and generation.
 
That is generally the idea of RAID-1. What exactly happens depends a lot on your RAID implementaiton.

What RAID-1 card would I need to get to make this work? Also how would I set everything up so it is easy and fast to change a bad drive? Thanks for the fast reply.
 
What RAID-1 card would I need to get to make this work?
I don't have enough experience to answer this part.
Also how would I set everything up so it is easy and fast to change a bad drive? Thanks for the fast reply.
I would consider getting a hotswap cage, such as the supermicro 5-in-3's (these) and depending on the mission criticality of the server either a hot-spare, cold-spare, both or neither.
 
Your raid controller must support hot swaping and automatic rebuilding if you want a trouble free experience. Then you can just yank a dead drive and put a fresh one back in, you should be then all set to go.

Something like this should suit your needs
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16816115029

(Note: I'm not sure what drives you are wanting to use, how many, nor what interface did you prefer for a controller).
 
Back
Top