NoOb hard drive improvement help!

Ckamc

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 5, 2005
Messages
131
As the title says, I have an not been well versed in hard drives for quite some time so I come for help.

Windows 7 Ultimate i5-650
4GB of ram Nvidia GTX 460
3 Drives;2 1Tb Drives and a 350GB drive

I have the drives split into 8 partitions, 6 of them I use and the other 2 I think are for when I get bored and wonder info a random linix distro to play around.

At first this system used to scream thru many tasks but now I notice it takes forever for it to look thru 400gb directory of video that is not sorted into folders.

I have never done a RAID or anything than just plug in drives and used them with out a hitch in the past. in the past I would do a partition and would see results and not complain. Now that I am a media whore it has turned into an unforgiving adventure of "how long is it going to take to load up this directory"

Is it possible for me to move onto another solution without loosing my data or am I going to lose everything in the process of getting better data connectivity? I amk willing to buy another drive to move everything during this process.


THANK YOU!
 
How many videos are in the directory? It could just be that there are too many files in one directory. I generally find that in NTFS, regardless of filesizes, I start to notice slowdown of access times at 2000+ files and practically useless beyond 10,000+ files. Strictly limited to one directory in one disk configuration, that is.
 
Back
Top