No software firewall, but acting like it?

GilmourD

[H]F Junkie
OK, here's the deal. My friend got a new HP laptop. Almost everything works great, but I believe there's an issue with the networking setup. First, when we went to activate her Office, it was saying that it's not connected to the 'Net. However, it obviously is, as it's browsing the web just fine. Next comes iTunes. The error it's getting is
iTunes could not connect to the iTunes store. The network connection was refused. Make sure your network settings are correct and your network connection is active, then try again.
It gives this error regardless of it being connected wired or wireless.

So, I go searching around, and find some threads on the Apple support forums where some people had the same problem, and it turned out to be that they had a firewall set up (WinXP or otherwise) and iTunes wasn't an authorized app. However, my friend's laptop isn't set up as such. She's rockin' the firewall in her Linksys router, and everything works fine on her desktop. I made sure that there's no software firewall set up at all...

So... What's the deal?

Nobody? I was hoping to get an answer to this by today because my friend is a teacher who was going to use a video she bought on iTunes as part of her lesson, but her laptop isn't authorized to play it.

kawasaki747 said:
Make sure that upnp is enabled on the router.

BTW, Itunes uses port 3689, so you may forward it manually.

For directions on port forwarding check here, http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm

Hope that helps,

Nick
Thanks for the answer. :) However, check out what fixed it.

I disabled and did everything but uninstall Norton Internet Security... Stopped the services, stopped it from loading at startup, etc. Well, I said "Fuck it!" and uninstalled it. That did it! There must have been something sneaky going on there that I didn't catch. Oi! Oh, well. It's fixed, now. :)

Back