no physx after installing 190.38 drivers in win 7 64 bit

zalazin

[H]ard|Gawd
I just upgarded my drivers in win 7 rc 64 to 190.38 after which I no longer have physx in the control panel or any where. I tried installing the latest physx separately. It stll does not show up anywhere. I went back to 186.18 no problem physx comes back. Any one out
there have a clue whats going on?

system: Foxcom MOBO Nvidia 9600GSO VC 4 GIGS ddr2 WD 250 gig, Seagate 1.5 TB Liteon DVD burner. D820 CPU (yeah I know its old had it lying arround though). 400 W PSU:

Nvidia has been getting people to move from the PhysX control panel to the Nvidia Display Driver panel for awhile now, it has even pushed you strait to the NV CP even if you launch the PhysX window by itself. If you can go into that and enable PhysX, I dont see why it wouldn't work. You can uninstall the Nvidia Drivers but leave the PhysX on, then launch that, and it will still bring up that old PhysX window.

Any reason it was there before was that maybe they removed the icon from CP becuase they want it to be set up a certain way for Windows 7. Not all older programs will install Icons properly in Win 7.

I could not even find a option for physx in the NV control panel. Infact Physx was not even in the Windows add or remove programs. Even when I tried installing it separately it wasn't there.

I could not even find a option for physx in the NV control panel. Infact Physx was not even in the Windows add or remove programs. Even when I tried installing it separately it wasn't there.

maybe the driver isn't installing physx in the first place for some reason. try installing it from the separate physx software and see if it works.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/physx_9.09.0428_whql.html

This thread got me to try and see if I had PhysX options in my Nvidia CP but I was greeted with this when I selected NVIDIA Control Panel:

Untitled-86.png

I just piced up Mirror's Edge and I am using 190.38. I never recived an error message at any point but gpu physix were not working. I had to uninstall physix and instal whatever version NV had for DL on their website and it worked fine. I'm not saying that this will help you and I'm on Vista x64 but it seems like there might be a problem with physix installing with this driver.

mine works fine on windows 7

Good for you. The OP, however, does have a problem so I don't think he gives a crap that you don't have any problems. Try making a post that actually helps. Just saying...

zalazin: I would suggest getting rid of your nvidia drivers and then reinstalling the 190.38 driver. You can use driver cleaner to get rid of the video drivers. Physx can be removed from "Programs and Features" or whatever they call it. If that doesn't help at all you could just continue with the older drivers and try again when nvidia releases some new ones.

criccio: As long as your games are running without issue you should be good, but if you have any issues in the future I would definitely use something like driver cleaner to get rid of the nvidia drivers and start over with a fresh driver install.

Last edited:
Good for you. The OP, however, does have a problem so I don't think he gives a crap that you don't have any problems. Try making a post that actually helps. Just saying...

zalazin: I would suggest getting rid of your nvidia drivers and then reinstalling the 190.38 driver. You can use driver cleaner to get rid of the video drivers. Physx can be removed from "Programs and Features" or whatever they call it. If that doesn't help at all you could just continue with the older drivers and try again when nvidia releases some new ones.

criccio: As long as your games are running without issue you should be good, but if you have any issues in the future I would definitely use something like driver cleaner to get rid of the nvidia drivers and start over with a fresh driver install.

whoa... settle down there guy. i agree elaborating helps, but his post does confirm that the drivers can and do work properly on a specific platform which helps the OP narrow it down to probably being an installation/cleaning problem with the new/old version of the driver. if no one confirmed it worked on a similar setup, the OP would be left to wonder whether the driver functioned properly at all.

to the op:

you need to use driver cleaner. you should have the options that you appear to be lacking. since parts of the installation appear to be faulted or overlapped with previous version(s), who knows what other performance hiccups you may have....

yea sorry, i should have been a bit more specific and such but i was in a rush lol, and my rush prompted a good response from you.

but note it works, and i also run a 9800gtx+, a 9500GT, and a bfg ageia phys-x card, all of which work, via the control panel for phys-x and via the nvidia control panel.. nothing fancy done really...

yea sorry, i should have been a bit more specific and such but i was in a rush lol, and my rush prompted a good response from you.

but note it works, and i also run a 9800gtx+, a 9500GT, and a bfg ageia phys-x card, all of which work, via the control panel for phys-x and via the nvidia control panel.. nothing fancy done really...

There are acctually quite a few reports of people not being able to use a dedicated Physix card with this driver over at Guru3d.

http://www.ngohq.com/graphic-cards/16223-nvidia-disables-physx-when-ati-card-is-present.html

Well for all those who have have used Nvidia cards for PhysX and ATI cards to render graphics in Windows 7...All that is about to change.

Since the release of 186 graphics drivers Nvidia has decided to disable PhysX anytime a Non-Nvidia GPU is even present in the same PC. Nvidia again has shot themselves in the foot here and showed they are not customer oriented. Since they are pushing Physx this will not win over any ATI fanboys with this latest decision.

Yay dividing the market is fun!

Has anyone got this running with an ATI 4800 series card and a Nvidia card (as physx) running win Windows 7 RTM or MSDN/TechNet?

I'm very much interested in having this setup, but unless it's trouble free I'm not going to bother.
As I posted above with latest nvidia drivers you can't do it anymore :eek:

Smart move Nvidia! Physix is really going to take off now. :rolleyes:

It's a move which doesn't make sense from a financial or business perspective, which is the most puzzling aspect. As a game dev who uses PhysX in our games, it almost seems to me like nVidia has lost its mind...

definitely dugg, I don't own an ATI for the current generation, but that's still idiotic on their part. My guess is it won't let me get a 2nd older card and even use that with my 280, oh, and the fucking 190.?? drivers are broken as all hell in Windows 7 anyway. Don't even get me started on that...!

It's a move which doesn't make sense from a financial or business perspective, which is the most puzzling aspect. As a game dev who uses PhysX in our games, it almost seems to me like nVidia has lost its mind...

It's Nvidia. How many bridges have they burned in the past? Thats all the explanation needed.

I started this thread way back when.

I am currentl running sucessfully several systems using physx. The system that would not install the 190.38s with Physx had only a 9600 GSO there was no ATI graphics card installed.

I Do have a system that runs an ATI 4850 with get this: an ASUS Ageia based PCI_E 1x
Phsyx card and as long as I don't use pass 8.09.04 Physx software and have the Cuda dll in the system 32 folder I can actually use the physx card in all the lastest Nvidia phsyx based game.

Here's another One I have a Zotac 9300 ITX using the the onboard Gpu for Physx. and a Radeon 4650 for Graphics. Works fine , but if what you say is true about the latest Nvidia
drivers I would Probably lose the onboard capabilty for physx. I figure the Almighty Nvidia has screwed up this batch of drivers and basically doesn't care about the user!

Correct me if i am wrong but for physx don't you need a dedicated 8800 or better gfx card with 256MB ram or better?

9600 GSO is a rebadged 8800 GS and any 8 series with at least 256 ram can do physx.

The Onboard 9300 GPU in the Zotac 9300 ITX does do Physx. I also have the Zotac ION ITX with the dual core Atom 330 the ION is based on Nvidia 9400 On board Graphics. It also runs Physx. To run the Onboard in the Zotac 9300 Itx I select GPU always enabled and allocate 512 of system memory as the frame buffer. The ATI 4650 512 DDR3 graphic card does all the screen rendering. I have tested this using the free game Warmonger 2.5 by enabling and unenabling Physx. The Difference is 3 FPS without Phsyx and about 30 FPS with Physx. (system specs are Zotac 9300 ITX, Celeron DC E1400, 4 GIGS DDR2 800, ATI 4650, WD 500 Samsung Sata DVD burner, OS Win XP SP3. One of Nvidia's big things was that you could do physx with the 9300 or higher onboard GPUs.

This thread got me to try and see if I had PhysX options in my Nvidia CP but I was greeted with this when I selected NVIDIA Control Panel:

I had this, just install the drivers again - no need for driver cleaner. I think it might have happened if you had control panel open while installing drivers (which would prevent it updating it correctly)?

Back