No Icons or toolbar in XP Home

Gamer_Zero

n00b
Greetings,

I have this weird problem with my XP home. During bootup the desktop wallpaper shows up, but none of the icons or toolbar do. I can move the mouse cursor around but cant right click. After 3 to 5 mins all the icons and toolbar load and everything work normally :eek: .

I have checked for any viruses or "spyware" nothing.... If i boot onto safe mode everything loads normally. I disabled everything in msconfig start up, still nothing ...

Any help would great, thank you in advance.

cheers

Do you have any drives mapped to network locations that no longer exist? Or a large number of drives mapped to network locations that are only accesible across a slow network link?

It's single drive paritioned for 1G for D: ( backup drivers ). It's on a home network and was working fine until 3 days ago. I updated the OS and installed the latest ATI Cat 5.2 hoping that would fix it, nada ...

Ctrl+alt+del

Make sure explorer is a running process..if it is, kill it and start it again.

During the 3 - 5 min wait for the icons and toolbar to load, i can only move the mouse curor. I cant bring up any dialog boxes including the "Task Manager" dialog box... tho in safe mode the desktop loads normally ( speed wise ;) ).

If it loads fine in Safe Mode, than chances are it's a driver causing the problem. Since you just started having problems since the ATI upgrade, remove those drivers and reboot. See if it loads the icons right away using the default Microsoft video driver.

I updated the ATI Cat 5.2 drivers after the trouble started, hoping it would solve the problem. I did try loading the XP VGA drivers, but it still hangs.....
Is there a way to load drivers one at a time during boot up ? The ones that load if not in "Safe Mode" ? maybe i can see what driver is hanging when loading ? :confused:

Back