no display on boot-up

pcperson

n00b
I was recently setting up my computer to display on an HDTV and had heard about powerstrip. I decided to give it a try to get a nice fit on the TV screen. After i had done that, i wanted to go a bit further and try to get a better resolution out of the TV to make the display fit the size better. Unfortunately i set it to a bad resolution :rolleyes: and now, after POSTing and seeing the windows loading screen on XP, the screen goes blue and cannot display any more. I tried plugging it into a regular monitor and seeing if i could get to windows and change the res. back but i get an error on my monitor that says, put resoltuion to XXXX by YYYY at 30hz or something like that. I tried booting into safe mode and resetting the resolution to 800x600 and eventually unistalled powerstrip because I thought it was over-riding the windows preset res.

Now I guess the comptuer is stuck in a res thats undisplayable on the TV as well as a standard monitor. I was wondering if theres a solution to defaulting the pc back to a native res. like using the recovery program with the windows CD or something I can do from safe mode.
Thanks, sorry for making it so long

I wonder if your refresh rate is set to something that both TV and monitor will not handle.

Go into safe mode and Display properties.
Set your resolution to 800x600 like before
Click the Advanced Button and then the Monitor tab.
Set the refresh rate to 60hz

Back