"No display detected" with SLI enabled

The weird thing is, the 'No display' issue is random. At times, I will see the MSI logo, POST codes, then the screen goes black once Windows boots; other times, Windows comes up fine. Another issue is, sometimes when I resume from sleep mode, I get a black screen, I can still hear Windows system sounds, however, so I know Windows is still up and running.

I have uninstalled Nvidia drivers, used driver cleanup utilities, then installed new/older/beta drivers, none of which resolve the issue. I have disabled all overclocking and used default BIOS settings. I have ensured my mobo and video card BIOS' are up to date. All other drivers are up to date. I have tested both cards individually; stress tested with Furmark, without error. I have swapped video cards/PCIe slots. I even upgraded my 750w (to 1300w) PSU in order to ensure I had enough power to supply the SLI setup; issue persists with both PSUs. I have used three different SLI bridges. Tried DVI, HDMI, and DP cables. Tested with 3 separate monitors. Ensured onboard video is disabled.

If I disable the SLI option in Nvidia control panel, the issue goes away... but, what's the point of having two video cards if I have to disable SLI? Any ideas, because I'm all out of them.

Specs (all stock settings):

CPU: Core i5 4670k
Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 (Firmware v1.9)
GPU 1: MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
GPU 2: MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1300G2 (1300 watt, 80plus Gold)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (1866)
HDD: Crucial SSD 120GB, Sandisk SSD 250GB

Prob need to reinstall windows fresh.. something is conflicting with you reinstalling nvida drivers.

Install the drivers with both cards installed the first time.

I know it's a huge pain.. I've been needing to do the same for the past month or so and I can't even think about going threw all that.

Ugh. I definitely don't want to deal with that. Especially if it doesn't end up resolving the issue.

I bet next time it does it you could take rhe monitor connection and plug it into the 2nd card and your picture would work. Windows is confused what card is the main card.

As I stated, I've used driver cleaner utilities. The one you listed is one that I've used.

No, they are stock bios. Also, if I unplug the video cable, then plug it back in, the display is recognized; I just figured this out. Kind of a pain, though.

Back