nice headphones

greasedneut

Weaksauce
Joined
Aug 16, 2004
Messages
102
I'm looking for headphones that have good sound quality for music and games, but also have a microphone. I have the Seinheiser HD280's, and was quite impressed by their sound quality, but notso much by their overall feel---they are quite heavy. They also lack a microphone.

Is there a good headseat that can be purchased for around $150? Thanks.

P.S.

I use the Sound blaster extreme gamer fatality edition sound card.

Thanks!
 
I hate it when people recommend that piece of shit zalman mic. I know for sure everyone who recommends it doesn't own it. You get what you pay for. It has no ambient sound filtering, so no one can hear you over your ceiling fan. It also makes you sound robotic, it's wires are thin, and the clip doesn't attach to anything thicker than your shirt. Get a proper mic and just set it on your desk. It doesn't need to be on your mouth because it has filtering properties and doesn't make you sound like a robot.
 
I hate it when people recommend that piece of shit zalman mic. I know for sure everyone who recommends it doesn't own it. You get what you pay for. It has no ambient sound filtering, so no one can hear you over your ceiling fan. It also makes you sound robotic, it's wires are thin, and the clip doesn't attach to anything thicker than your shirt. Get a proper mic and just set it on your desk. It doesn't need to be on your mouth because it has filtering properties and doesn't make you sound like a robot.

Hmm. I have had one for years and have never heard anyone complain about them. I had several best buy desktop mics which were less than fun though.

Do you mean a proper pro mic?

Seriously, I want to know what you are comparing it to. No way would I recommend something I would not use myself.
 
Maybe he's comparing the Zalman to Neumann's BCM 104?

I'm actually not sure what "ambient noise filtering" refers to, exactly, so I'm a little curious about that. Does that mean a non-omni polar pattern...?
 
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1234050

Comfy would be audiotechnica A700 usually. They are the lightest full sized headphone that I have used. You can buy a zalman clip on mike and attach it to the headphone cable with no issues.
Funny enough, that's what I have. Audiotechnica ATH-A700, Zalman ZM-MIC1.

A700s: Solid piece of work. Definitely comfortable, more so if you don't have weird ears or wear glasses. The foam is soft, and the cups are made of... pleathery stuff. They're not velvet pads... but they're still quite comfortable. There's little clamping force, and the headphones rely on the two-piece "headband" to stay on (meaning you can't do a Putin). This the cans are sitting lightly on your head, and not pinching it in two.

It seals sound decently well. Since they're my first and only set, I have nothing to compare it to. It'll block out sound well enough to silence foot steps, or somebody talking to you from about 20 metres away. You can hear sounds closer to you though, such as a Model M keyboard, or a massive fan. (This is all when music is playing)

Sound quality: I'm no audiophile, but if the headphones can let me pick out instruments clearer and instruments I've never heard before in my songs, its got to be decent at least. Bass doesn't kick in (and by kick in, I mean kick-your-head-in-hard) unless the song is particularly bassy, or loud. Then again, you can't compare it like you have a subwoofer attached to your head. Mids and highs are excellent.

Other notes:
Braided cable? Check.
TRS adapter (6.3mm/0.25 inch)? Check.
Sides: In photos, you'll see them as blue. That's due to the flash. In reality, they're a lot closer to black, until you shine a bright light directly on them. Then you'll see the blue metallic/sparkle paint job.
Shiny box? Check.

I hope to get a proper sound card soon enough... A Xonar DX, from the looks of it.

In short: I like mine. There's always the AD700, if you're more for open headphones. Paid $110, before shipping (which was $47, international to Canada, DHL Air... they didn't give me an option).

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/DeathseekerWR/5.jpg
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/DeathseekerWR/DSC00693.jpg
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/DeathseekerWR/DSC00689.jpg
The only pictures I have, I'm afraid.

I hate it when people recommend that piece of shit zalman mic. I know for sure everyone who recommends it doesn't own it. You get what you pay for. It has no ambient sound filtering, so no one can hear you over your ceiling fan. It also makes you sound robotic, it's wires are thin, and the clip doesn't attach to anything thicker than your shirt.

To be fair, I only paid $5 for mine. Yeah, it picks up ambient sound. Yeah, it'll pick up a fan (especially if its next to you, durr. Or pointing at you.), but not a ceiling fan. Those things hardly move air as it is.

Yes, the wire is thin. How thick did you want it to be?
The cable clips? They work. They're soft, so they'll wrap the cable on my A700s.
Mic clip? Won't attach to anything thinner than a shirt, that's for sure. Hell, it doesn't attach to my shirt either. That's not a problem though.
 
Funny enough, that's what I have. Audiotechnica ATH-A700, Zalman ZM-MIC1.

A700s: Solid piece of work. Definitely comfortable, more so if you don't have weird ears or wear glasses. The foam is soft, and the cups are made of... pleathery stuff. They're not velvet pads... but they're still quite comfortable. There's little clamping force, and the headphones rely on the two-piece "headband" to stay on (meaning you can't do a Putin). This the cans are sitting lightly on your head, and not pinching it in two.

It seals sound decently well. Since they're my first and only set, I have nothing to compare it to. It'll block out sound well enough to silence foot steps, or somebody talking to you from about 20 metres away. You can hear sounds closer to you though, such as a Model M keyboard, or a massive fan. (This is all when music is playing)

Sound quality: I'm no audiophile, but if the headphones can let me pick out instruments clearer and instruments I've never heard before in my songs, its got to be decent at least. Bass doesn't kick in (and by kick in, I mean kick-your-head-in-hard) unless the song is particularly bassy, or loud. Then again, you can't compare it like you have a subwoofer attached to your head. Mids and highs are excellent.

Other notes:
Braided cable? Check.
TRS adapter (6.3mm/0.25 inch)? Check.
Sides: In photos, you'll see them as blue. That's due to the flash. In reality, they're a lot closer to black, until you shine a bright light directly on them. Then you'll see the blue metallic/sparkle paint job.
Shiny box? Check.

I hope to get a proper sound card soon enough... A Xonar DX, from the looks of it.

In short: I like mine. There's always the AD700, if you're more for open headphones. Paid $110, before shipping (which was $47, international to Canada, DHL Air... they didn't give me an option).

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/DeathseekerWR/5.jpg
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/DeathseekerWR/DSC00693.jpg
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/DeathseekerWR/DSC00689.jpg
The only pictures I have, I'm afraid.



To be fair, I only paid $5 for mine. Yeah, it picks up ambient sound. Yeah, it'll pick up a fan (especially if its next to you, durr. Or pointing at you.), but not a ceiling fan. Those things hardly move air as it is.

Yes, the wire is thin. How thick did you want it to be?
The cable clips? They work. They're soft, so they'll wrap the cable on my A700s.
Mic clip? Won't attach to anything thinner than a shirt, that's for sure. Hell, it doesn't attach to my shirt either. That's not a problem though.

A Putin? The fuck.
 
A Putin? The fuck.

There's a picture floating around the net of Putin wearing some headphones on his ears with the headband hanging in front of his face. The design of the A700 wouldn't allow you to do this, hence not being able to 'do a Putin'.
 
Or AKG Putin.

He's wearing AKG K271S upside down. Which is quite awesome.

He also does that with earmuffs, at the range. (You don't see Bush or Harper going to a range to check out a M9/Browning HP/P226/Makarov to go shooting)
 
Back
Top