• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

NForce2 vs. P965 Chipset WB

39MLZ7

n00b
Joined
Nov 28, 2006
Messages
18
Long time listener, first time caller.......

I was just wondering if chipset mountings are the same standard now as they were several years ago (like 4 years ago, wow). In other words, I have a watercooled n-force2 and am looking to move to a core 2 duo (probably a P965 express). Will my chipset waterblock still fit? It is a unit I bought from Gemini Tech before they went out of business.

Also, I have seen it mentioned that on core 2 duo boards some people are cooling the southbridge? What gives the best results northbridge or southbridge? :confused:
 
I think it's the same "4cm chip" mounting pattern...

That means that any modern chipset cooler should fit.

NB cooling is more important than SB cooling, but cooling the SB has some inherent benefits too...

I WC my NB and use a large HS on the SB. Seems to really help stability of the ICH8 controller on my board... Before, windows would "lose track" of my HD's :mad:
 
I haven't really paid much attention to motherboards in awhile and back when I bought the system in my sig no one paid any attention to cooling the southbridge. It just didn't make much heat.
 
Got my new motherboard today. Its a Gigabyte GA-965P-S3. Turns out that hole spacings are different so my chipset waterblock won't fit. My video card waterblock may fit but then my vid card obviously won't be watercooled.
 
Back
Top