[Newegg] Radeon 7950's are out

there still too expensive for my taste.. They need to be 350ish, not 500ish (for the xfx)

yea, too much. I just got my rebate back yesterday from my GTX 580 costing me effectively $349. I dont know why they jumped up in price... at 450 the 7950 isn't a great deal.

yea, too much. I just got my rebate back yesterday from my GTX 580 costing me effectively $349. I dont know why they jumped up in price... at 450 the 7950 isn't a great deal.

Effectively? you mean from sale of previous GPU? Or is there actually a rebate to bring the price down for a GTX 580 down to $350? That's hard to believe that nVidia would lower the price that much. I don't think they'll drop the GTX 580's below $450 even if the 7950's are faster.

Effectively? you mean from sale of previous GPU? Or is there actually a rebate to bring the price down for a GTX 580 down to $350? That's hard to believe that nVidia would lower the price that much. I don't think they'll drop the GTX 580's below $450 even if the 7950's are faster.

No, I paid $399 out of pocket. Newegg had them on sale with a coupon code for $399... then with a $50 MIR it came to $349 that I ended up paying. Just got the rebate yesterday. For awhile there you could get GTX 580s for 350-380 after MIR. Now they are more expensive.

I sold my GTX 480 for $250 so it cost me $100 to upgrade,

Waiting for $250 to be anywhere near my budget. Are these as fast as 6950's in xfire as the price is about the same.

Waiting for $250 to be anywhere near my budget. Are these as fast as 6950's in xfire as the price is about the same.

Gonna be a few years before they hit $250. I was expecting $399 for these not that I was shopping for a GPU.

Gonna be a few years before they hit $250. I was expecting $399 for these not that I was shopping for a GPU.

That is ok. Maybe the 6950's/6970's will drop in price.

3 * 6950@2GB should be much better than 2 * 6850x1GB.

I like eyefinity but with 1G cards I have to keep AA down...

Me personally I'm waiting on the 78xx series. I don't need to spend a lot of money to play games at a decent frame rate on my setup.

Even now with my 6850 and my 24" 1200p screen I get 40+ fps in BF3 which is fine for me.

Me personally I'm waiting on the 78xx series. I don't need to spend a lot of money to play games at a decent frame rate on my setup.

Even now with my 6850 and my 24" 1200p screen I get 40+ fps in BF3 which is fine for me.

same here after looking at the prices I'm hoping the 7870 will perform ok at 1920x1200 that I run it at, looks like march release for those according to the MSI launch guide

To much for me. I plan on picking these up when they are $250. Hopefully that will be before the end of the year.

Higher priced than I was hoping for :eek: Well now I just need to keep my fingers crossed for the 78xx cards to be much cheaper and available with ~2GB of VRAM. 1GB RAM on my 6850 just isn't enough for Eyefinity.

The prices don't surprise me. I mean, obviously the prices are a lot higher than I would like to see, but I don't blame them. Until demand drops or Nvidia can compete there is no reason to sell them cheaper.
It feels weird saying this, but it seems like I'm waiting for Nvidia to save me from AMD's high prices.

I am a little worried about 78xx prices. If the rumors are true, the 7870 will perform like a 6970, but cost about the same, which doesn't really help.

It feels weird saying this, but it seems like I'm waiting for Nvidia to save me from AMD's high prices.

Well have no fear! When Nvidia has high prices, they are the green devil and just taking advantage of consumer. When AMD does it, it is because they offer high performance and need to make money.

The prices don't surprise me. I mean, obviously the prices are a lot higher than I would like to see, but I don't blame them. Until demand drops or Nvidia can compete there is no reason to sell them cheaper.

I am a little worried about 78xx prices. If the rumors are true, the 7870 will perform like a 6970, but cost about the same, which doesn't really help.

Im totally fine with the 7970 price considering its performance and features compared to the GTX 580. the 7950 seems way off base to me though.

If i was on a tighter budget, id go for a 2gb 6950 now and crossfire another 6950 2gb later.

AMD brand new tech finally caught up with Nvidia old tech. Nothing to see here.

I feel like its a trade also. 7950 matches the 580 and being charged nearly the same for it. Justified but no true value.
7970 faster than a 580 for $50 more. Justified but no true value.
Cards are getting faster but prices are getting higher also, eliminating price vs performance.

We're being asked to pay the same prices for the performance we've had since November 2010.
This is why people are disappointed with AMDs pricing. Could be some merit to Nvidia being disappointed in AMDs 7000 series.

Last edited:
I fell like its a trade also. 7950 matches the 580 and being charged nearly the same for it. Justified but no true value.
7970 faster than a 580 for $50 more. Justified but no true value.
Cards are getting faster but prices are getting higher also, eliminating price vs performance.

We're being asked to pay the same prices for the performance we've had since November 2010.
This is why people are disappointed with AMDs pricing. Could be some merit to Nvidia being disappointed in AMDs 7000 series.

Well said.

Bingo. Original MSRP on 6950 was $259. MSRP a year later is still $259+. Why haven't prices dropped?

I thought new gen stuff reduces value of previous gen? They should drop prices on 6950.
No, they're going to release a 7850 that is 5% faster for $279.

Whoop-de-doo. :mad:

Still waiting for a sub $300 card that will crush my 4870X2 at 1920x1200 resolution. Maybe we'll get a price war when Nvidia launches their next generation of cards. So far the 79xx series has been great performance wise over the 69xx cards, but value wise is abysmal and unaffordable for the majority of purchasers.

If i was on a tighter budget, id go for a 2gb 6950 now and crossfire another 6950 2gb later.

The 6950s haven't dropped in price. It's almost as if they are planning to just sell two generations at once :

$225 - $275 : 6950
$300 - $350 : 6970
$450 - $500 : 7950
$500 - $600 : 7970

But yeah, the 7950 isn't exactly making a case for price to performance on the high end like the 6950 did... I guess we will just have to wait for Kepler.

Obviously lots of people are willing to buy their card at the $550-600 price point, so there really isn't much incentive to drop the price. Once everyone who will buy at the high price has one, then they will drop the price maximizing their profit. The other side of it is why would you completely try to destroy your previous generation if it could still bring profits?

I just don't see why people are so angry at the fact that AMD/ATI is pricing their card accordingly. Nvidia used to have the better lower cost cards, but now are much more expensive. Now that Nvidia has changed their release cycle to not match ATI's, it makes it very easy for ATI to charge the amount they do. So if anything, blame Nvidia ;)

So, it looks from the sounds of it, the 7850/7870 will perform and be priced at about the same level as the 6950/6970. Meanwhile we can suppose that the 7750/7770 will be priced and perform at the same level as the 6850/6870. Basically, AMD created a new price bracket in their line up with the 7xxx series. Considering that at launch a 5850 cost about $300, and the card at the same level in the next generation (6950) cost the same $300. Now we are at the current generation and AMD decides to up the price $150? I'm GPU agnostic, so I'm really hoping that nVidia pulls a "Radeon 4870 (back then the GTX280 was about $600, then the 4870 came out, was on average 10-15% slower for half the price, forced nVidia to lower their ridiculous prices)" with the GTX660 Ti to normalize prices again. The Radeon 7970 should really be $400, and the 7950 should be $300, my best guess is that they are trying to maximize profits now before nVidia's "4870" is released. I just don't think that AMD's going to send out $100 rebate checks to early adopters like nVidia did for GTX280 and GTX260 owners.

Just came across an article on the 77xx and 78xx series, link here. Quote:

AMD_Roadmap_7750_7770.jpg

Coming up first will be the boards targeting the $99-159 price tag, both based on a GPU chip codenamed "Cape Verde". Cape Verde Pro will become AMD Radeon HD 7750 1GB, while Cape Verde XT will become Radeon HD 7770 1GB or 2GB on February 15, 2012.

For those paying attention, Cape Verde Pro and XT carry 128-bit memory interface, but there will be odd combinations such as half-height HD7750 with 64-bit interface and odd amount of memory, such as 512MB DDR3 for special market projects.

AMD-sanctioned boards will utilize 1GB of DDR3 or GDDR5 memory, while the custom boards will vary from 512MB to 2GB and we would even wager a 4GB DDR3 board from one of Chinese vendors by Computex timeframe (as a way of raising product's price).

Following the launch of Radeon HD 7750 and HD 7770, AMD plans to unveil Pitcairn, its $179-249 targeted GPU board for performance consumers. Pitcairn will get the name Radeon HD 7850 (Pitcairn Pro) and HD 7870 (Pitcairn XT). Pitcairn Pro and XT both carry the 256-bit memory controller, keeping the performance envelope in check, on the level of former high-end Radeon HD 6950 and HD 6970 at a new price point. The launch date is set for March 6, 2012 as the first day of CeBIT 2012 trade show in Hannover, Germany.

Remember that due to AMD Fusion APU i.e. Heterogeneous System Architecture (former Fusion System Architecture), AMD is no longer making dedicated chips from the x100, x200, x300, x400, x500 and now, x600 architectures. Radeon HD 7100/7200/7300/7400/7500/7600 are all based on older Evergreen (VLIW5) and Northern Islands (VLIW4) GPU architectures and either embedded inside the APU chips, or rebranded old generations.

Expect the same trend to continue going forward with the 8000 and 9000 generations, while there is a rebrand coming for the 10000 series, which won't see the light of the day in the five figure form.

You will never get a hot deal on any new video card paying MSRP and above on launch day.

Interesting chart, though I would be a little bit disappointed if they decide to launch the low end before the midrange stuff. Then again, I'm more interested in when Nvidia will bring out new cards. My hope is that whenever nvidia launches new stuff it should bump the price down a bit on AMD products. A 7870 is a lot more appealing at $250 than at $300.

Interesting that all of the 7950 now have Free Shipping and prices reduced $10-15 only 24hr. after launch.

Good job guys! They'll get the message for releasing overpriced products by us not buying them.
Prices are still too high.

lots-o-stock eh?

Got a 6970 (flashed 6950)

Disappointment. Now it it's flashable to 7970....

I saw the tomshardware comparison of the 7950 vs the 580 and thought, well AMD has a nice little card here, if its $350 and matches or beats the GTX 580 in almost all games while being $100-$125 cheaper they will dominate for a while. Then I see the price of $460-$480 depending on the brand! What is AMD doing? they used to be the cheaper alternative with similar performance, not they are just trying to price themselves the SAME as Nvidia with the SAME performance? not going to work, not when you have poor drivers and overall poor support for games compared to the Green Machine. Nvidia must be laughing at AMD, now you can see why they didn't feel rushed to get their next gen GPUs to market, they knew that AMD wasn't going to outperform them in performance AND price.

the GTX 670 is supposed to match or beat the GTX 580 performance, and I doubt its going to cost $460 like the 7950, I doubt it will be more than $400, so I guess AMD fans will have to wait for the GTX670 and then they can get their 7950s under $400 as the Red Machine scrabbles to price match NVidia (that feels weird to say).

I saw the tomshardware comparison of the 7950 vs the 580 and thought, well AMD has a nice little card here, if its $350 and matches or beats the GTX 580 in almost all games while being $100-$125 cheaper they will dominate for a while. Then I see the price of $460-$480 depending on the brand! What is AMD doing? they used to be the cheaper alternative with similar performance, not they are just trying to price themselves the SAME as Nvidia with the SAME performance? not going to work, not when you have poor drivers and overall poor support for games compared to the Green Machine. Nvidia must be laughing at AMD, now you can see why they didn't feel rushed to get their next gen GPUs to market, they knew that AMD wasn't going to outperform them in performance AND price.

AMD is trying to make money while they can. If/when Nvidia comes out with better cards and lower prices, AMD has to respond and their profit margins will go way down.

Lack of competition = current pricing

Nvidia has famously done it throughout the years, now it's AMD's turn.

No surprise...

Back