Newegg has Tuniq Tower 120s in stock

you'll still need to pull your mobo because the 9700 also uses a back mounting plate that needs to be installed somehow.

I think on 939 boards it mounts to the existing backing plate - I watched their animated install video. If I'm wrong, that's a big "doh!". :)

okay, I didnt pay attention that you had a s939 platform. sorry for your luck......... J/K :)

on the other hand, wouldnt the backplate on the back of the mobo fall off when you take the four screws out from the stock plate when you're installing the new cooler?

in other words, whats going to keep that backplate from falling out of place if the mobo is still mounted?

okay, I didnt pay attention that you had a s939 platform. sorry for your luck......... J/K :)

on the other hand, wouldnt the backplate on the back of the mobo fall off when you take the four screws out from the stock plate when you're installing the new cooler?

in other words, whats going to keep that backplate from falling out of place if the mobo is still mounted?

On AMD boards the 9700LED mounts with a clip to the stock plate, there are no screws involved. But I'll be keeping the LGA775 install parts cause I plan to get C2D when Crysis comes out. :)

Dear Valued Newegg Customer,

Thank you for shopping at Newegg.com!

You recently requested auto-notification for item # N82E16835154001 -- CPUCOOLER|TUNIQ K8&P4|Tower 120 RTL.

We are pleased to inform you that, at the time of this mailing, the item you are looking for is in stock and available at our online store. To jump directly to the product's page, please click the link below (or copy & paste it into your internet browser):

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?description=35-154-001

back in stock.

Well I beg to differ, because for the moment I hold the [H]ardForum overclock record for an air-cooled E6400 and I use a Zalman 9700 LED not a Tuniq Tower. :D I have looked at the other benchmark results and notice I seem to be getting lower core temperatures as well.

No offense intended to Tuniq owners out there.

Wdn,

It seems to me that your chip is the exception to the rule, and would perform equally well with a stick of warm butter as a heatsink, much less a Tuniq or 9700.

every chip is different.. some just run cooler and oc better than others.. I am going to bet that's the reason for the abnormally great temps there... but that's not to discount the 9700's cooling ability.. it's a good sink!

I want one, but I am usually around 45-47c load temps with my scythe infiniti running my chip at 3.4ghz with 1.3875 volts in it. This is while running dual primes and using the temps off TAT. So i will save my money for a jerker desk to house my new Westinghouse 37inch.

Wdn,

It seems to me that your chip is the exception to the rule, and would perform equally well with a stick of warm butter as a heatsink, much less a Tuniq or 9700.

Dear Choder,

It is meticulous craftsmanship and attention to detail -- and not "the chip" -- that is getting me these levels of overclock and low temperatures. I was getting core temps in the upper 50's at 3200 MHz using this same CPU chip using the stock Intel cooler spinning at full speed when I did the first quick build with this CPU. That was before I tore down the system and tuned just the way I want it by adding the 120mm exhaust fan and the Zalman 9700 installed and everything tuned to the Nth degree. Having said that I think the Zalman is a superior cooler when installed properly and tuned properly and in conjunction with the right case cooling -- I have just 1 120mm exhaust fan and a 80mm intake fan that I slowed down to 5V operation by wiring in a resistor. I can tell you this, every detail counts. I spent an hour just preparing and mounting the Zalman properly.

Look at the stuff I am using my entire build including the Zalman was under $900 -- the case and power supply were free after rebate. I am using mediocre memory sticks that cannot be clocked to even 10% overclock above their rated 400 MHz @ 4-4-4-12. I am not throwing money at the problem I am applying knowledge and workmanship.

Regardless of some thinking it is the "luck" of the parts bin, well let me tell you, nobody achieves the #1 air cooled E6400 overclock on [H]ardForum by being lucky. It is no fluke that I am getting performance levels like this. :D

got a good point there, but you do have good memory, i am trying to decide if i want to go past my 3.4/1.3875 volts setup on basically the same chip you have. Right now 3.2 i can actually do 1.275 with. My memory might not be as good though, it is GSkill though, but it seems finiky trying to go higher then 3.4 even with turning down the timmings.

WDN, I think what some of us are trying to say, is that your chip and / or your entire setup allows you to have such low temperatures even when overclocking your chip by 1.7ghz.

I haven't even seen people using water with those temperatures @ 3.8ghz....

Dear Choder,

It is meticulous craftsmanship and attention to detail -- and not "the chip" -- that is getting me these levels of overclock and low temperatures. I was getting core temps in the upper 50's at 3200 MHz using this same CPU chip using the stock Intel cooler spinning at full speed when I did the first quick build with this CPU. That was before I tore down the system and tuned just the way I want it by adding the 120mm exhaust fan and the Zalman 9700 installed and everything tuned to the Nth degree. Having said that I think the Zalman is a superior cooler when installed properly and tuned properly and in conjunction with the right case cooling -- I have just 1 120mm exhaust fan and a 80mm intake fan that I slowed down to 5V operation by wiring in a resistor. I can tell you this, every detail counts. I spent an hour just preparing and mounting the Zalman properly.

Look at the stuff I am using my entire build including the Zalman was under $900 -- the case and power supply were free after rebate. I am using mediocre memory sticks that cannot be clocked to even 10% overclock above their rated 400 MHz @ 4-4-4-12. I am not throwing money at the problem I am applying knowledge and workmanship.

Regardless of some thinking it is the "luck" of the parts bin, well let me tell you, nobody achieves the #1 air cooled E6400 overclock on [H]ardForum by being lucky. It is no fluke that I am getting performance levels like this. :D

Wdn,

I think you missed the humorous point of my previous post, though I am very suprised that you would state that "meticulous craftsmanship and attention to detail " is what allows your system to perform so well, and that your chip has nothing to do with it.

every chip is different.. some just run cooler and oc better than others.. I am going to bet that's the reason for the abnormally great temps there... but that's not to discount the 9700's cooling ability.. it's a good sink!

QFT

Ordered the Tuniq from xpcgear. If you're in CA after taxes and shipping xpcgear is a few bucks cheaper. Can't wait! :)

xpcgear is pretty good. They shipped to me in one day.. I was shocked! 24 hour turn-around.

Back