newbie VPN question: using network resources (Linksys VPN router) w/IPSec clients

pxc

Extremely [H]
I have a Linksys RV042 VPN router (current firmware) that I can use to connect through PPTP fine using the XP built-in VPN connection. On a domain joined system running only through the Internet I can connect to any WS2003 domain mapped drive, RDP into any system and run applications that use other network resources like SQL server. PPTP is working, but I'd rather have a more secure connection from the outside.

I know I'm probably missing something basic, which is why I'm using the "newbie VPN question" title. When I connect from the same system above or from another non-domain joined system, using the Linksys QuickVPN client (current version) or TheGreenBow VPN client (current version), I can see that I am connected to the router. Only one or the other VPN client is installed at a time. The tunnel connects each time, but I can't access anything on the network from the client by name or IP address. I can log into the Linksys VPN router after connecting using QuickVPN or TGB and I can ping out to the remote system using TGB from inside the network. I'm testing using 2 separate DSL lines.

I've gone over every related thread at linksysinfo.org, so let me get the basic stuff out of the way:

0. The PPTP connection works *perfectly*.

1. The tunnel connects using QuickVPN or TGB. There is not a problem with the tunnel closing. I can play inside the network's Linksys VPN router configuration all I want remotely using the internal network IP address (192.10.10.90). Remote configuration on the VPN router is disabled, so I am in the network. I've tried it on the two different systems described above with the same results.

2. I do not have DMZ enabled on the Linksys VPN router. I have disabled the PPTP feature and it doesn't help.

3. I have tried disabling the OS (client) and router firewalls on both sides of the connection. No difference.

4. The Linksys VPN router is directly connected to the DSL modem, no NAT used. The other end is going through a Linksys BEFSR81 router.

5. IPSec, PPTP and L2TP pass through are all enabled on both ends of the connection (routers).

6. The Linksys VPN router access rules are default:
Allow All Traffic [1] LAN Any Any Always
Deny All Traffic [1] WAN1 Any Any Always
Deny All Traffic [1] WAN2 Any Any Always (not connected)

I have a feeling I'm missing something from here. The Linksys documentation is terrible.

7. QuickVPN doesn't have any configuration options, except the certificate I exported and the account I created on the router. It does connect and I can see myself logged in from the router configuration page. I can connect and view the configuration page remotely using the internal network IP address (192.10.10.90), but can access nothing else remotely by name or IP address.

8. TGB VPN client set up is fine on both sides of the connection using a pre-shared key. The tunnel connects and I can view and change the router configuration remotely using the internal network IP address (192.10.10.90), but can't see anything else inside the network by name or IP address. I can ping from inside the network to the remote VPN client IP address configured inside TGB.

9. The IP address ranges are different between the routers and network, as suggested in TGB VPN Client documentation. The client is behind a NAT in the 192.168.1.x range, the remote network is in the 192.10.10.x range and TGB VPN Client address is 192.168.2.100. I have also tried using a network IP address (192.10.10.50) in TGB VPN client in the VPN Client Address field for testing. No difference. Can still ping the client from inside the network, but the client can't see anything in the network by name or IP.

Help! People have made both QuickVPN and TGB work with this router, but I'm probably just missing something.

Edit: I have installed the MS KB889527 hotfix on the clients already. No better. And I have also removed and reinstalled the clients more than once each.

Back