Newb @ OCing Q6600

Might be time to RMA the board?

I'll post back in here when I get my PC built and let you know if I have any of the same problems.

you have yet to use a different mem divider like i said 2 days ago... how are you even getting a 1:1 ratio if thats true you would need like 1066mhz ram at stock speeds let alone the 1333. you need to set a ratio that would work a 1333fsb and 800 ddr2 speed is not 1:1 but is what you need. Change the mem multipler to something other than auto and the board should show you the ram speeds its trying to do. In my case the g33 mATX version of basically that board allowed a 1333fsb with a 2.5x multipler for the ram to make the ram 833 which was basically nothing. the default auto/3x multipler was trying to get the ram to over 1000 take a look at this

When I say "you need to tell us your settings" I mean you need to write down EXACTLY what you set in the BIOS. When I say you need to try just 1 stick of memory, I mean that. When I say you need to tell us what version of BIOS, I mean specifically what version number (F1, F2, F3...etc). The POST screen will say "Intel P35 BIOS for P35-DS3l XX" where XX is the number I want.

You can't give us these flippant "the newest" and "I changed the settings" answers and expect serious help.

You need to eliminate the memory problem first. Then you can start overclocking.

However, the settings you will eventually want under the MIT section are:

Robust Graphics Booster: Auto
CPU Clock Ratio: 9X
CPU Host Clock Control: Enabled
CPU Host Frequency: 333
PCI Express Frequency: 100 (THIS IS IMPORTANT)
CIA 2: Disabled
Performance Enhance: Standard
System Memory Multiplier (SPD): WHATEVER SETTING MAKES THE MEMORY FREQUENCY BELOW IT 800 (2.4 should be the right setting).

All the voltages should be fine in Auto.

Again, do this WITH ONLY ONE STICK OF RAM. If it continues to reboot after changing the settings, change the stick of ram to a different slot or a different stick. Try all four sticks (only one at a time) in all four slots if you have to.

Is this a stepping B revision G0? If so, then I am seeing this problem more and more often as I read more and more message boards. The newest revisions, seem to, well, suck.... On my Gigabyte GA-965P DS3 (Rev 3.3, BIOS F12) I am unable to boot into windows on any front sie bus greater than 1316 Mhz...

I have a Stepping B revision G0 too. And I will be able to say more once I install and play around with my ABIT IX38 Quad GT motherboard. If this motherboard is unable to get into windows at > than 1316 FSB then I will know I got a borked cpu.. And I will start saving for a 45NM one...

It appears I just have bad luck, I have always gotten bad overclocking chips..

Is this a stepping B revision G0? If so, then I am seeing this problem more and more often as I read more and more message boards. The newest revisions, seem to, well, suck.... On my Gigabyte GA-965P DS3 (Rev 3.3, BIOS F12) I am unable to boot into windows on any front sie bus greater than 1316 Mhz...

I have the Same CPU, Stepping B G0, running it on a ASUS P5E.
CPU ratio 8x
FSB 453
cpu voltage 1.46
ram voltage 2.14
RAM ratio set to 333 but running at 1068 ( or close to it, ive only seen this on this board)
using OCZ REAPER 2x 2GB 6400

heres the CPU-Validation
http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=281084

I am installing my Abit IX38 Quad GT motherboard tonight. Hopefully I will be able to achieve at least 3.6 Ghz with it. I will also l lap my quad. (and I would be "happy" with at least 3.4 Ghz)

Though I am interested to know, is SMP Folding stable at the settings in the cpuz Screen shot?

My B G0 processor clocks up to 3.5 GHz just fine. I'm running 3.4 stable (idle 42, 100% load 65).

The only real difference I see between Silvers24's and Blueagle87's setups is that I used Gigabyte tested memory (more likely to ensure compatability) versus the G.Skill that is not on their tested list.

I also know that my GA-X38T-DQ6 had some issues with the CMOS settings getting reset when I was initially trying out the overclocking settings until I got the memory issues squared away (for me, this required upping the VDIMM from 1.5 to 1.8). The instant I got the memory voltage set and good (supported) speeds set in the memory settings...no more reboot and lose the overclock settings.

It sounds like you guys really don't understand all the settings you're messing with and why they affect things the way they do. That's probably the most important part of overclocking. Not only knowing what to set, but why.

1.My B G0 processor clocks up to 3.5 GHz just fine. I'm running 3.4 stable (idle 42, 100% load 65).

2.The only real difference I see between Silvers24's and Blueagle87's setups is that I used Gigabyte tested memory (more likely to ensure compatability) versus the G.Skill that is not on their tested list.

I also know that my GA-X38T-DQ6 had some issues with the CMOS settings getting reset when I was initially trying out the overclocking settings until I got the memory issues squared away (for me, this required upping the VDIMM from 1.5 to 1.8). The instant I got the memory voltage set and good (supported) speeds set in the memory settings...no more reboot and lose the overclock settings.

3.It sounds like you guys really don't understand all the settings you're messing with and why they affect things the way they do. That's probably the most important part of overclocking. Not only knowing what to set, but why.

1. Yea, well I finally was able to begin installing windows on this new motherboard. I lapped my proc, ploped it in, and it wouldn't work.
Through three hours I played with different RAM slot combinations and reseating the CPU, and finally on the 7th CPU reseat, CMOS clear and one stick of memory test, it POSTed successfully. I even tried my old E6600 three times and it still wouldn't work.
But now that, that horrid time is over, I am finally able to install windows.. I was soo pissed off, if the last attempt failed I swear, I was off to a homicidal rampage...

2. Thats interesting, do you really think my HZ's could have been the problem?

3. O rly?? I thought I knew was I was doing. I tried just about ever voltage combination and Vcore there was. And no front side bus greater than 1320 would boot into windows...

2. Thats interesting, do you really think my HZ's could have been the problem?

You always have to rule out bad memory first. For example, on my GA board, it booted just fine at any setting I threw at it. But I first installed Windows and tested everything at stock speeds. That should always be your first step...establish a baseline and get everything else working before tweaking. After I worked with the settings and was running 3.0 stable, I flashed the BIOS to the most recent version (manufacturer claims better overclocking stability, plus XMP support...the most important one to me). The board would not boot. Period. Turn on, reboot, reboot, reboot, etc. Ultimately, I got it to boot with one stick in the board and got the memory settings right.

Mind you, this was on a perfectly stable board that stopped booting after flashing the BIOS...when the BIOS flashed, the overclocking settings were borked. Getting into the BIOS and setting the memory profile to "XMP" the system went to 8x400 (XMP on the memory is 1600) and booted stable at 3.2. A few voltage bumps later, I had a stable system under load.

You have to be able to constrain yourself to changing only one variable at a time. The more things you change at the same time, the more likely you are to run into problems. It is simple problem solving...eliminate things one at a time.

And one of those variables is to use a list of compatible memory that the manufacturer has tested...rather than doing your own testing.

Plus, you're pushing components farther than they are rated...

Though I am interested to know, is SMP Folding stable at the settings in the cpuz Screen shot?

Never ran SMP Folding before, but its 15hours of Prime 95 Stable on every core.

rainman: It was my old motherboard. My new Abit IX38 Quad GT allowed me to boot into windows @ 3.6 Ghz on 1.4 Vcore.
I am still adjusting voltages for SMP Stability..

Never ran SMP Folding before, but its 15hours of Prime 95 Stable on every core.

Hrmm, you should give it a try. SMP is more "fickle" about settings than stress testing programs.. Plus, it is for a good cause as well.. You can stress test and contribute to society at the same time..

i installed SMP folding, its just running, is there anything special i have to do to bench or test for stability??

i installed SMP folding, its just running, is there anything special i have to do to bench or test for stability??

Nothing special, but if you want to get credit for the work units you do, you needed to install it correctly.

That is:
After opening the file which was downloaded.
Open install.bat in the SMP Folder
Then open FAH.exe in smp folder and fill out required information as to what user name and team you want the work units to be credited to..

You then need to say no to all five questions it asks.

But other than that, you just let it run, you don't have to do anything special.
To close the console without losing the current work unit, use Ctrl + C.
I suggest that you also place a shortcut to Fah.exe on your desktop. Since it will not be starting up on boot.

Back