• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

new to SATA

speedlever

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 29, 2006
Messages
447
My new build will have:
1 - 74Gb Raptor SATA (for OS and programs)
1 - 320 Gb Samsung SATA (for data)
1 - 300 Gb Seagate 7200.8 IDE (left over from a prior "deal")

Mobo is Asus P5B-E.

I haven't started the build yet, but in preparation I'd like to know if I need to set the jumpers for SATA drives like for IDE drives?

Are SATA drives accessed in order of connectors? I.e, SATA1 then Sata 2, etc. How does the mobo know which drive is my primary otherwise?

My mobo manual says connectors 1/2/5/6 use setting Master and boot disk. (Is that setting the jumper?) 3/4 are slave/data.

So I should connect my Raptor to any of 1/2/5/6 and the Sammy to either 3 or 4 and jumper them as master/slave?

What about the IDE drive? Should that be jumpered as master, cable select or slave for the single IDE connector?

Thanks.
 
You can generally set the BIOS to boot from any sata disk, so there isn't really a "master". You won't need to jumper the sata drives at all. The IDE drive can be in whatever jumper setting you prefer it, just make sure the hard drive and any optical drives don't conflict.
 
Thanks for the info. I will have 2 optical drives.. but they are SATA DVD burners. Shouldn't be a conflict with the single IDE drive.
 
Back
Top