New to PhysX, HALP

redivulpis

Limp Gawd
Hey, I'm diving into experimenting with PhysX a bit. I'm planning to run a Hybrid setup, mostly because I already have a majority of the parts that will go into the project on hand. For all intents, the only thing I have left to acquire is the dedicated PhysX card. I'm leaning towards a low-profile card for various reasons (cooling, lower power consumption, low-profile fetish, etc.), coupled with an HD7850.
What I'm really wondering is where I might fight the most bottleneck between the 3 major processing parts of my project: CPU, GPU, PPU (dedicated GPU).

Parts I'll be using:
CPU: AMD Phenom 2 x3 720 BE, 4th core unlocked, modest OC
GPU: XFX HD7850
PPU: XFX GT 640
Motherboard: MSi 890GXM-G65

I'm still flexible on the PPU, and I'm considering the one above because of it's healthy number of CUDA cores, which are the real power behind PhysX rendering. I realize that that card is otherwise overkill, but I'm wondering if I even need THAT much power. I'd be running Borderlands 2, Batman: AA/AC, maybe a few others.

Hey, I'm diving into experimenting with PhysX a bit. I'm planning to run a Hybrid setup, mostly because I already have a majority of the parts that will go into the project on hand. For all intents, the only thing I have left to acquire is the dedicated PhysX card. I'm leaning towards a low-profile card for various reasons (cooling, lower power consumption, low-profile fetish, etc.), coupled with an HD7850.
What I'm really wondering is where I might fight the most bottleneck between the 3 major processing parts of my project: CPU, GPU, PPU (dedicated GPU).

Parts I'll be using:
CPU: AMD Phenom 2 x3 720 BE, 4th core unlocked, modest OC
GPU: XFX HD7850
PPU: XFX GT 640
Motherboard: MSi 890GXM-G65

I'm still flexible on the PPU, and I'm considering the one above because of it's healthy number of CUDA cores, which are the real power behind PhysX rendering. I realize that that card is otherwise overkill, but I'm wondering if I even need THAT much power. I'd be running Borderlands 2, Batman: AA/AC, maybe a few others.

After playing a few hours of BL2 my 8800gt got to a max of 69% gpu usage, so that gives you a somewhat baseline to go off of.

EDIT: After playing pretty much the whole day it never went above 82%. So I guess the people who said it doesnt reuire much were right. Though I would rather have a more efficient physx card. hehe

Last edited:
the 640 is a good chip to go with but its not all about CUDA cores either ROPs come into play with PhysX a bit from what i remember, that said the GTX 400 500 600 series gpus just plain do better processing PhysX than the older 8000 9000 and 200 series gpus do.

Thanks for the insight!
I'm still on the fence about what PPU to opt for, but from what I'm reading here even with the above components, I shouldn't see *that* much difference between 96 CUDAs and 384?

I've narrowed my alternative to this: XFX GT620
It's about half as expensive, and I can probably get ahold of one for even less from eBay or even here.
Time isn't really a factor since this is an ongoing project.

Thanks for the insight!
I'm still on the fence about what PPU to opt for, but from what I'm reading here even with the above components, I shouldn't see *that* much difference between 96 CUDAs and 384?

I've narrowed my alternative to this: XFX GT620
It's about half as expensive, and I can probably get ahold of one for even less from eBay or even here.
Time isn't really a factor since this is an ongoing project.

I am not sure, though I was wrong, my 8800gt is only 512mb, not that it matters for physx.

But it does have a 256bit bus, DDR3, 16 ROPs, 112 shaders. So anything as fast or faster would be good.

Back