• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

New to OC...

tunehead

n00b
Joined
Dec 18, 2005
Messages
1
I’ve built many computers over the years but have never over clocked for some reason. At the moment I’m interested in building a new box on a budget. I want the most bang for the buck, so I am salvaging some old components and am looking to over clock a tried an true setup that would have been your wet dream a year ago. I’m behind the times what can I say. LOL :D What I will need new, is a CPU, Mobo, Fan/Heat sink, & Memory. I was thinking of going with an Intel Pentium 4 2.4C if they can still be found at a good price. I have an ATI Radeon 9000 128MB DDR AGP 2x/4x (got it free) for my graphics card. What I would like to know is:

1) Are there any know problems with my graphics card when it comes to OCing?
2) Does anyone know where I can get a reliable 2.4C for a reasonable price?
3) What Mobo would you recommend for the 2.4C along with my Graphics card?
4) What memory would you recommend for this setup (How much/Brand)?

Remember I need the best bang for the buck. I will eventually upgrade the graphics card and possibly some other components, but for now I’ll just have to deal with the lint at the bottom of my pockets. :) So what are your recommendations?
 
tunehead said:
1) Are there any know problems with my graphics card when it comes to OCing?
2) Does anyone know where I can get a reliable 2.4C for a reasonable price?
3) What Mobo would you recommend for the 2.4C along with my Graphics card?
4) What memory would you recommend for this setup (How much/Brand)?

1) No, you shouldn't have any problems with that card. I personally would want something a little more powerfull, 9800Pro perhaps.
2) Post a thread in the FS/FT section.
3) Stick to Intel chipsets, at least an i865, i875 is a little faster but its more expensive. Look into a used IS7, IC7, P4C800, P4P800.
4) Corsair ValueSelect, or something along those lines, try to stick with brand name ram. 2x512mb would be nice but if it costs too much then get less.
 
Back
Top