I wasn't planning on doing very much gaming, I play LoL and just waiting until Diablo 3 comes out, but working at Bets Buy I was able to gain access to the Intel Retail Edge program. I figured I might as well build a PC if I can get a i7 960 for $98. Do you guys recommend buying a different Heatsink/Fan If I won't be overclocking?
They have a Mobo/Processor bundle for $280 that's a i7 960 and a Intel® Desktop Board DX58SO. That would be like $50 savings if I can get the processor for $98 standalone. However I'm positive there are better Mobos around that would work better with that processor and with my ambitions for the rest of my system.
Mobo
I was looking to stay in the $200-$250 range for motherboards.
A friend of mine recommended this motherboard, and I just wanted to see what your take on it would be. Can I get something better for not very much more that would work better with my system?
GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...YTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/
I don't have a full list of hardware as some of it is dependent on what motherboard is decided on.
Since this motherboard utilizes triple-channel memory I was looking to put in 3 sticks of 2gb
Corsair 3X2GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145250
This seems adequate for now and if need be I can upgrade in some time.
I've been out of the whole hardware scene for a while, so I'm not really sure whats been up with memory as of late. But this seems to have good timings and reviews.
How do you guys feel about this one?
I was looking for a mid level Video Card for around $200-250 and I honestly have no idea where to start. The last PC I built has a 9600GT in it and at the time they were pretty high end and now you can buy them for like $30 on eBay haha. What video card do you guys prefer at this price range?
So this is just the basics for what I was looking to throw together and just wanted your guys' input on the specs. These are probably the most important of my specs that I need advice on.
For the rest of it :
1 TB WD http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136533
Sound Card will be purchased Later on.
Power Supply, depending on what case and motherboard, I was going to pick up a 800-1000W power supply. On Newegg given my desired config its giving me something like 750 Watt rating. I was reading reviews on Newegg and theres always a few people on every one who just get a complete dud product.
I was also looking to throw in a lower end SSD for the OS for faster boot-up speeds. What is the best way to utilize a SSD in a computer?
Probably looking to through this one in: OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTXE60G
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227550
Thanks in advanced to anyone who takes the time to look at my thread and reply
They have a Mobo/Processor bundle for $280 that's a i7 960 and a Intel® Desktop Board DX58SO. That would be like $50 savings if I can get the processor for $98 standalone. However I'm positive there are better Mobos around that would work better with that processor and with my ambitions for the rest of my system.
Mobo
I was looking to stay in the $200-$250 range for motherboards.
A friend of mine recommended this motherboard, and I just wanted to see what your take on it would be. Can I get something better for not very much more that would work better with my system?
GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...YTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/
I don't have a full list of hardware as some of it is dependent on what motherboard is decided on.
Since this motherboard utilizes triple-channel memory I was looking to put in 3 sticks of 2gb
Corsair 3X2GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145250
This seems adequate for now and if need be I can upgrade in some time.
I've been out of the whole hardware scene for a while, so I'm not really sure whats been up with memory as of late. But this seems to have good timings and reviews.
How do you guys feel about this one?
I was looking for a mid level Video Card for around $200-250 and I honestly have no idea where to start. The last PC I built has a 9600GT in it and at the time they were pretty high end and now you can buy them for like $30 on eBay haha. What video card do you guys prefer at this price range?
So this is just the basics for what I was looking to throw together and just wanted your guys' input on the specs. These are probably the most important of my specs that I need advice on.
For the rest of it :
1 TB WD http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136533
Sound Card will be purchased Later on.
Power Supply, depending on what case and motherboard, I was going to pick up a 800-1000W power supply. On Newegg given my desired config its giving me something like 750 Watt rating. I was reading reviews on Newegg and theres always a few people on every one who just get a complete dud product.
I was also looking to throw in a lower end SSD for the OS for faster boot-up speeds. What is the best way to utilize a SSD in a computer?
Probably looking to through this one in: OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTXE60G
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227550
Thanks in advanced to anyone who takes the time to look at my thread and reply
Last edited: