New powersupply needed?

ManofGod

[H]F Junkie
2FA
Joined
Oct 4, 2007
Messages
13,080
I have a Thermaltake Toughpower 750 Watt power supply. It is 5.5 years old and I have been using for most of that time. About 4 years ago, one of the sata power connectors shorted out but otherwise, everything else continued to work fine.

I have been using 2 2 x molex to 6 pin power converters on the secondary card for a while. The power supply only has 2 x 6 pin PCIe connectors natively. I have a 1090t overclocked to 3.8GHz, 3 x 1TB harddrives, 2 x 6950 2GB powercolor videocards, 1 BD Rom drive, 1 tv tuner card and 1 OCZ 128GB Synapse Caching SSD drive.

I am looking at the Corsair GS800 because I can pick it up locally. What do you guys think, get the GS800, get something else or just stick with what I have? Oh, also, I run the machine off a APC 1000AV UPS.
 
Wait for the Seasonic X750 to go on sale for ~$110, or the Corsair AX750 for a similar price (internally, they're the exact same power supply).

How much are you getting the GS800 for? Unless it's a good deal, I wouldn't recommend upgrading. Jonnyguru reviewed the unit as a good performing unit, although given its age, it might be time to start looking for a replacement for if/when it dies on you.
 
Well, I picked up the Thermaltake M Series 850 Watt based on this thread: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1720993 I figured since the person who was commenting recommended it, chances are, I would not go wrong.

Also, it was onsale for 119 plus tax so I was blessed there as well. (Best Buy store purchase, I know. :eek:)
 
Well, I picked up the Thermaltake M Series 850 Watt based on this thread: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1720993 I figured since the person who was commenting recommended it, chances are, I would not go wrong.

Also, it was onsale for 119 plus tax so I was blessed there as well. (Best Buy store purchase, I know. :eek:)

The Thermaltake Smart M series PSUs are CWT-built designs (at least the 850W model that I saw recently at Best Buy, which carries a UL file number that codes to CWT directly) that might be a bit better in quality than Corsair's TX-M series PSUs which use a similar but not completely identical CWT platform. But that's not saying very much: Both are just middling in quality at their price points. At least the Smart-M series PSUs are a significant upgrade from their crappy HEC-built TR2 RX predecessors in that the Smart M PSUs can handle their claimed wattages whereas the TR2 RX PSUs couldn't.
 
Last edited:
Well, I already have it and installed it so I am good. :D Took me 2 hours to remove the old one and install the new one so I would rather not do that again if I do not have too. I appreciate all of your comments regardless, thanks.
 
Well, I already have it and installed it so I am good. :D Took me 2 hours to remove the old one and install the new one so I would rather not do that again if I do not have too. I appreciate all of your comments regardless, thanks.

In other words, that response of mine indicates that you could have done a lot worse than that Thermaltake Smart M 850W PSU - but you didn't.
 
Back
Top