New PIX515E

Carlosinfl

Loves the juice
I have a new PIX on my desk. Its a smaller PIX 515E and I have a config I would like to copy to the machine however I don't have any Windows / Microsoft systems on the LAN. The DoD won't allow us to have any on site even if they're stand alone.

If I have the config "running-config" on my Linux PC, how can I send it to the PIX so I can copy it to the startup config?

Is this possible? Obviously I have SSH on my Linux PC but I have never done this before. Thanks for any help and or info!

copy [t]ftp:/config startup-config

This requires a running [t]ftp server somewhere the pix can chat with it.

So basically getting a tftp server talking between my PC and the PIX is the only solution? I have never done this before. Can my PC which have the configs on it be the tftp server as well?

Do you have Cisco ADSM manager? You can download the config with that. I believe the program runs in Java so it should be cross compatible.

Do you have Console access to the device? if so just console in go to your configure terminal and copy paste...?

Edit: If your looking for a program use Putty...

if the pix is on your desk, can't you just plug your pc directly into it and copy the file over?

if you do a "copy tftp startup-config", your pc has to be the tftp server. you should also be able to use ftp.

also, as randyc said, the ASDM can transfer the file (uses https).

it all boils down to what kind of connection you have to the device.

Wait... why doe she have to do any tftp anything? all he is doing is copying the configuration.... get into a terminal window and copy paste. If he was flashing the firmware he would need to tftp but other than that there is no reason to put an actual file on the Pix.

Wait... why doe she have to do any tftp anything? all he is doing is copying the configuration.... get into a terminal window and copy paste. If he was flashing the firmware he would need to tftp but other than that there is no reason to put an actual file on the Pix.

it depends how the current configuration is set up. you basically have to be much more careful on the order of commands and how to get from one to another. if it were something like a juniper router, you could do this very easily because nothing takes effect until you commit the configuration. however, with cisco, every command takes effect immediately. so depending on his current connection to the device, he could end up locking himself out of the box if he's not careful.

Back