New NAS Raid. Says synchronizing. Can I use it?

jordan12

[H]F Junkie
SO I just built this Raid and the NAS says synchronizing. Am I able to copy data to it or should I wait until the Sync is done? Not even sure what the Synchronize means.

This is what Google has to say about your problem:
RAID synchronization is recommended as a preventative maintenance procedure to reduce the risk of an array of Rebuild failure. However, if a grown defect appears on an area that is not accessed (the area is free space, or because the file is accessed from cache), then synchronization is required to reconstruct the data.

Apparently you just created the array. The copying of files has nothing to do with it. Both disks are supposed to always contain the same data, so when you first create the array, the entire contents of the first drive has to be copied to the second to ensure they are identical. After that finishes, then writing data just writes to both drives at the same time.

I would say, wait until the synchronization completes.

SO I just built this Raid and the NAS says synchronizing. Am I able to copy data to it or should I wait until the Sync is done? Not even sure what the Synchronize means.
what is your raid setup

you can still use the array while its initialising the raid array (assuming hardware raid) for software arrays like synology same thing, it's just a background check it be a bit slower when you try to copy data to it (full protection only is there once sync or initialising has finished )

it will be mirroring RAID 1 or striping > RAID 5/6 (really should be using RAID 6 or SHR2 (if its a synology box) if the disk is over 2TB due to higher risk of dual bit error or 2 disk fail on rebuild at a later date)

It's normal on a new array. Personally I would wait until the sync is done before starting copying files.

Back