New Messages Computer stalls when recieving Emails in Outlook 2003

dpoverlord

[H]ard|Gawd
My computer is:
E6600 C2D O/C to 3.4 GHZ
2 GB of Ram
1950XT 512MB card
Win Xp SP3

The issue is that AVG is stalling my system when scanning incoming messages in OUTLOOK 2003. I can not do anything and it seems weird considering this computer is so fast.

Any help is appreciated.

Jonathan

hmmm this seems really weird. Im not sure, but I am not a fan of outlook. I would use something like gmail, or if you already have an email address you want to keep then use thunderbird

Have you updated Outlook with all your Office service packs and updates? I see this cure a lot of antivirus issues.

hmmm this seems really weird. Im not sure, but I am not a fan of outlook. I would use something like gmail, or if you already have an email address you want to keep then use thunderbird

Wow what an insightful, completely helpful response. :rolleyes: Excellent suggestion to resolve the problem... just use another program.

How large is the PST file? They have a 2gb max size in 2003. If size is not an issue then follow this here.

Well it seems the size is the issue then since..... the size is 11GB... Ok what do I do now then?

Well it seems the size is the issue then since..... the size is 11GB... Ok what do I do now then?

Guessing it's the new format..since it's that large . Still supported...but...WOW....never seen one that big.

What's the chance of emptying the sent items and trash folders to trim it down?

Wow is right. You're lucky Outlook opens at all and doesn't crash or corrupt itself. You need to set up auto archive. Try setting it at the default archive of anything over 6 months old. It'll take a while for a pst file that size. Set it to run everyday and you'll hardly notice it later.

1. On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the Other tab.
2. Click AutoArchive.
3. Run AutoArchive every 1 day selected which specifies how often to run AutoArchive.
4. Select the options that you want.
5. To apply the changes to all folders, click Apply these settings to all folders now. This will override custom archive settings that you've specified on individual folders.

I agree with the above posts. Start deleting as much useless crap as you can. Turn archiving on.

I use outlook as well and save all the attachments sent to me pictures/movies/etc
I then delete the email, this was the .pst file stays smaller and you would still have the attachments that you want.

Clean up your .pst
Delete unnecessary emails.
Empty the Deleted Items folder.
Empty your sent items folder of emails that you don't need. (remember, if you are sending attachments such as pictures that you have then that is space counted towards the .pst. If you have these pictures saved in a folder then there is no need for them in the sent items)

Once done, then run archive just like others said and make sure that you back up that .ost file as well.

Back