New lens... thoughts?

Modred189

Can't Read the OP
I have a D3100, and while it has been pretty good so far, I have been thinking of getting a macro lens. This new Tamron lens was recommended: http://www.tamron-usa.com/lenses/prod/90_vc_f004.asp#ad-image-0
90mm, F/2.8, 1:1 macro.

I don't know much about Tamron lenses first hand, but some of the reviews i've read have been good. Any [H] opinions?
B&H has it for $750 and Tamron is offering a $50 MiR.

My opinion of Tamron in general is... don't buy them. It could be just the bad experience that I've had with them (24-70 and the 70-300, both on D80 and D200), so perhaps my opinion here is biased, but I've been buying nothing but Nikon glass ever since trying a third party solutions.

Between Tamron, Sigma, and Tokina, I think I still like Sigma the best, but even then it's a very small number of lenses that I would actually consider using. Perhaps others can shed more light on the subject, because all I can say is, save up and buy Nikon.

OP I have the old lens. And I LOVE IT. Search DP forums and you will see that the tammy 90mm macro lens are VERY highly rated. The lens you posted is the updated version to the one that I have. The main differences is that the new one has VC (vibration compensation). IMO depending on your macro photography style this may be a good thing (hand held macro photography) or if you do it the right way...attached to a tripod then this may not be needed at all. Food for thought. IF I was in your shoes I would grab a used old version from flebay or amazon.
For what its worth here are a few macro shots I took with my Tamron AF 90mm f/2.8 Di SP (and a d7100 body)

Spring Flowers (4) by D. Washington, on Flickr

Tiny People 1 by D. Washington, on Flickr

Spring Flowers by D. Washington, on Flickr

Kiwi (2) by D. Washington, on Flickr

And to think, I was almost at the point of selling this lens! Glad I hung on to it.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back