New LCD for Graphics

Clevich

Weaksauce
Joined
Oct 22, 2005
Messages
120
going to school for design in september and looking to get a new LCD. I currently have a Samsung 173v but its pretty old. I need one with a good contrast ratio 1000:1 seems good, and a pretty good res (1600x1200 or 1920x1200). I've looked at the 2405fpw and really like it, just worried about the back bleeding and the fact the 2407 is coming out soon (hopefully). Any sugestions for me?
 
dell...

IMO 700:1 is good, i cant tell the diffrence between 700:1 and 1k:1 unless there right next to each other...

on the otherhand.. when i got form my dell work LCDs (700-1000:1) to my home 550:1 i can reaally tell...
 
ya the 173v is 450:1... im just worried about dropping so much money and being disapointed with back bleeding and what not. or if i wait it out for the 2407 ill have serious banding, which i realllllllly dont want :p
 
If you are getting this monitor for graphic design work you might want to focus on some other specs besides brightness and CR. You should probably look at displays built for better color repoduction- I would think thats going to be much more important than brightness and CR.

This is assuming your buying the panel from a Tier 1 manufacturer.

The Samsung 20" panels have great color reproduction for example. My Roomates Dual 204bs, for example, have much more uniform and consitant coloring than any of the Dells 20"+ monitors I've used (3x 2005fp, 2x 2001fp, 1x 3007fp)- Not saying the Dell's suck, but the different TYPES of LCD panels tend to be better in some areas than others. The Dells sacrafice a little color vibrance for faster refresh rates and cheaper prices while the Samsungs seam to lean more toward color reproduction than refresh times and such.

I'll let the real experts step in here and list some of the different type of technology that is used in LCD panels and why they are better for some stuff and worse for other.


Just like HDTV's- If one particular technoloy did everything better, for cheaper, then they would only make that 1 types- but each technology has is upsides and its downsides (including cost!)
 
Hi there

Im a graphic designer and im using the Dell 2405. Happy to report ive got no problems with it what-so-ever. No banding (this is why I avoided the 2407, to many bad reports), and colour repoduction is good. If you really want to get spot on colours, I would suggest getting a ColorVision Spyder 2, which will help callibrate your monitor. To be honest though, to make sure ive got the colours I want, I use a swatch book and a printout.

Hope this helps!
 
nellus said:
If you really want to get spot on colours, I would suggest getting a ColorVision Spyder 2, which will help callibrate your monitor. To be honest though, to make sure ive got the colours I want, I use a swatch book and a printout.

Hope this helps!

I am also a graphics designer and I surely agree with those tips, but I would really really avoid the dell monitors if you want accurate color representation. Also avoid the Gateway FPD2185W as the banding on it is pretty bad even on dvi at 75hz. I found that the apple displays appears to be the crispest and best representation of swatch book color even though they use similar displays to dell.

I am guessing the difference is just in build quality and the layout of the monitor that makes it so much better. Some people have preference still with a properly set up CRT over an LCD though which is hard to argue with when you see your project side by side on each setup. A properly setup CRT is going to display colors closer to what you will see print or in the swatch book where as the LCD will require some tweaking. With either setup the colors are never spot on anyways though, especially with pantones.

I am going to stop now... rambling :p
 
Generally S-IPS panels are best for graphics work. Some of the advice above includes Samsung 204b which is a TN panel; the worse type.

I had a Dell 2405 and the backlight is known to be too bright on these to calibrate properly(even at zero!), not to mention burning your eyes out and it had tone shift from side to side pretty bad.

Some S-IPS panels:
All the apple Cinema Series.
HP 2335
NEC 2070nx (this in particular has great color out of the box and excellent color control).

I would recommend the NEC 2070nx. 1600x1200 and not too expensive.
 
All valid points! I guess at the end of the day, its cost versus quality. Ive used the Apple displays in my last job, and they were great, especially together with a G5. But with a hefty price tag. But I cant argue with the quality, they really are that good. If i ever win the lottery (or that big commision), it'll be on my shopping list.

But for true colour representation, try to get your hands on a Pantone swatch book, or ask your printer for a CMYK colour chart, so you know how their printer will handle the colour. You'd be amazed at the difference between one print job and another, especially between print companies.
 
what type of panel are the dell's... and samsung's are s-ips? link me to a good samsung monitor. I just saw the 2407 is out on the dell.com site but not the dell.ca (im canadian) and also heard of the banding firmware fix? anyone try it? work?
 
Dell uses whatever they can and sometime change panel types at whim.

Dell 2007wfp (but not fp) and 3007 are S-IPS. Dell 2405 and 2407 are both Samsung PVA panels.

Samsungs are either PVA or TN.
 
what type of display does apple use? and whats the diffrence between s-ips, pva, and tn.
 
Orderd the Dell 2007FP. Where do I find out what type of display is on the monitor?

Edit: It helps when one searches...

Dell 2007FP - 20" LG.Philips S-IPS (LM201U04)
 
brachy33 said:
Orderd the Dell 2007FP. Where do I find out what type of display is on the monitor?

Edit: It helps when one searches...

Dell 2007FP - 20" LG.Philips S-IPS (LM201U04)

I wasn't going to say anything because it was already answered above. 2007FP is no longer S-IPS it is now samsung PVA.

Here is visual aid for the biggest difference between S-IPS and PVA/MVA. The NEC is S-IPS, the Viewsonic P-MVA. Notice how unless you are looking straight on it washes out. Now you may think, so what I don't move around. Well guess again. If you sit reasonably close, the sides will be washing out even though you are perfectly centered. This is why for me it is CRT or S-IPS. No TN and no VA.
Head to Head
 
Snowdog said:
I wasn't going to say anything because it was already answered above. 2007FP is no longer S-IPS it is now samsung PVA.

Here is visual aid for the biggest difference between S-IPS and PVA/MVA. The NEC is S-IPS, the Viewsonic P-MVA. Notice how unless you are looking straight on it washes out. Now you may think, so what I don't move around. Well guess again. If you sit reasonably close, the sides will be washing out even though you are perfectly centered. This is why for me it is CRT or S-IPS. No TN and no VA.
Head to Head

Well this isn't making me feel any better about my purchase. :(

Thanks for the info anyways!
 
Back
Top