New (I believe) Genuine Dell Battery is not recognised in Dell XPS 9560

JoK

Weaksauce
Hi,
I bought a replacement battery from here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/97Wh-New...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649 and it seems to be genuine.

I believe it is because BatteryCare application reports the same tech details as the original one I had.

Now, the problem is that the BIOS does not recognise it as genuine and Dell Command Power Management shows it as plugged in but not charging.

So, do you think it may be fake?

I read some posts about how to reset the battery and the microchip but nothing has worked so far.

What do you think?

Thanks

How much was it? Significantly cheaper than 50% of a new one? Probably a fake.

There's a lot of fakes by the big brands--Dell, HP, Netgear, Intel on ebay and amazon. That why I try to find other retailers with the same/similar price as what I can find on ebay as generally they will be less shady.

Of course, it could also be very old stock and will take some time and maybe temperature manipulation to start charging. I'd also try that.

How much was it? Significantly cheaper than 50% of a new one? Probably a fake.

There's a lot of fakes by the big brands--Dell, HP, Netgear, Intel on ebay and amazon. That why I try to find other retailers with the same/similar price as what I can find on ebay as generally they will be less shady.

You can see the price on ebay...was around GBP 60.00

Of course, it could also be very old stock and will take some time and maybe temperature manipulation to start charging. I'd also try that.
How do I do this?

Sounds like it should be legit based on the price, or it's a really good margin for the faker, or it's doa.

So take the laptop and battery to a cooler environment. Let both acclimate to the new temperature. Try charging again. Unplug it if it doesn't 'take' on the first go and try it again. Repeat this and see if it starts to work.

Then if that doesn't work, try taking it to a much warmer environment and repeat. Sometimes this will help some old stock to become alive again. But other times it doesn't help at all, so it's doa at that point.

I will try this.

I didn't mention that the led under the trackpad flashes one time white and one time amber. I know they mean some error codes but couldn't find what this combination (1-white, 1-amber) means.

what's doa? Dead on Arrival?

Sadly the technique with the temperature didn't work...
I think I will return the battery
Thanks for the help anyway

Here's the update:

I called Dell and they confirmed that the battery is indeed genuine. The reason my laptop does not recognise it is because the new battery is Korea made whereas the old one (which came with the laptop) is China made. Dell said that they can not replace this battery because I did not buy it from them. They also said that they are not able to send me a new one because they do not have stock; and, also, even if they had there is a warranty of 90-days only.

Looks like Dell is not very good with batteries.

But now I face another problem. The seller on ebay agreed to replace the battery but I am not able to post lithium-ion batteries as it is prohibited item. It is surprising how I even received it by post. By any chance, anyone has any ideas how to send the battery from UK to China?

Thanks

Back