New Home Server / Security Network question.

abudhu

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey all, this question may, and probably is in all regards, a (and pardon me) "noob" question.

My current Home network looks like:

Internet --->
Comcast Cable Box -->
Linksys WRT54GS v4.0 Wired/Wireless Router -->
Main Gaming Rig Box (Wired)
Dell Server Box (Wired)
Fathers Laptop. (Wireless)

Now, I have recently reconfigured my Server box for Web Server + FTP Server to allow for sandbox testing of web/app software we are developing. For this reason, I was simply wondering if an entity such as Monowall or IPCop is needed? My router already has a firewall built in and I leave Windows Firewall active on the machines (Though the Firewall is not configured too far past the basics). I use AVG Free as my virus protection agent. All port redirection is done through the router currently, as it should be.

I am rather pensive at the fact that an attacker may simply use brute force or another means to gain access to the server comp and spread from there. Would a Monowall/IpCOP Box sitting here;

Comcast Cable -->
MonoWall/IpCop -->
Linksys Router --> etc

help to protect my web accessible server? Is it even needed? If I do put say (and because I am leaning towards) IpCop in place, how will this affect the routing capabilities of the Linksys? From reading the manual / it seems that the IpCop / Monowall would take over DHCP and assign the IP’s. In this case, what purpose if any would the router actually serve? Seems that it would be rendered useless, save for sending packets to the needed location. That almost sounds like a standard switch to me.

So perhaps the networking community here can clear up a few facts for me/guide me in the correct direction for ensuring a secure web/ftp server that minimize the chances of an attack on my network as a whole?

Your response in this matter is very much appreciated. I look forward to reading what each of you has to say.

It's always fun to learn new programs. I experimented with a version called ClarkConnect for a few weeks before deciding to get a NetScreen 5GT to serve the purpose.

But if your server is just for testing the applications then I dont see the need. More than likely your apps wont even be on the test box long enough to attract the attention of anyone actually capable of hacking you.

Well, I seem to have forgotten to put slightly more emphasis on the Web side of the server as well. It is indeed a webserver first, sandbox second. Thus it is and will host a live and active page for people to visit daily. While the page will be primarily personal, that does not seem to deture the random (gross over-generilization incoming) 10yr old wanna-be-hacker.

I should add that while we are "testing" apps it is an ongoing project, meaning the files etc are always up. Granted as we move from phase 1 to phase 2 to phase X the older ones will be archived, the most current test build will always be accessible.

Eventually the hope is two fold;
1) Create a system that mimics the Live server we use. For this reason the sandbox page will be accessible by others to test. Once testing is complete they will be rolled out onto the live site.
2) Provide a File server/print serve to my Family members

Back