• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

New hard drive problems

Fangman

Weaksauce
Joined
Dec 2, 2006
Messages
66
Hey all,

I have just installed a new 320gb SATA2 Seagate hard drive. I have a gigabyte S3 motherboard, about a month old.

I installed it and turned on the computer and checked the Bios, it was there, i done an auto-detect anyway just to make sure.

I go into windows and it is not here, i go into Device manager and force it to search for new hardware, but it comes up with nothing.

I have also removed the SATA 2 jumper, since the MB is meant to support it.

Any ideas? thanks!
 
start->run->diskmgmt.msc
partition and format the disk.
Assign a drive letter
win.
 
diskmgmt.msc only shows 3 drives, one DVD-RW and my 2 old Hard drives, not the new one.
 
have you installed the SATA driver for the controller to which it is connected?
 
I have just re-installed the SATA driver now, and when I reset my computer I checked the BIOS again, to see it has disappeared.

The two cannot be related since the Driver is windows-based, right?

I have checked the cables and the drive is hot and i can feel it vibrating, so it is powered.

Just for reference, the current two hard drives are plugged into the purple ports, while the one I cannot see is in the Yellow one. I am going to try and put the new HD into the purple slot and see what happens.
 
ok, switched the two around and I can now see the 320gig, and have formated it using windows. However, I can now no longer see the old one. I have checked diskmgmt.msc

I'm at a loss here, i cannot have more than 2 HD running at once.

Anyone, please?
 
sounds like you have 2 different controllers on your mobo. Like one for raid and one for sata only. Try the raid controller setup.
 
sounds like you have 2 different controllers on your mobo. Like one for raid and one for sata only. Try the raid controller setup.

I don't think I fully understand, I know very little about raid.

Are you saying put 2 hard drives into the same array?

Also, I have updated to latest bios (F8) and set the bios settings to Optimum, and put the two old HD on the purple controller, and tried the 320gig on each of the orange SATA connectors, to no luck.

Also, here is a link to my motherboard with the PDF versions of the manual:

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/Manual_Model.aspx?ProductID=2321

If you have a look at it, note that there are 2 diagrams for the SATA controllers, two (purple) for the Gigabyte controled ones, and 4 (oranage) controlled by the Intel ICH8...
 
That MB has two controllers - the Intel 965 with ICH8 and a Gigabyte controller. There are likely two different pages in the BIOS, one for each controller. You're looking at the Gigabyte page, see if you can find the page for the ICH8. You might have another driver to install - the one for the Intel controller.
 
You will probly have to go into your bios and chose raid somewhere in there, and then you will have an option to go into the raid option from boot up usually a ctrl-a or something like that, then go in and do what you want to do. you could just leave them alone or you could stripe the three drives or put in a raid 5 if you have on on board controller. Have fun. If all else fails use your gigabyte disk and make a driver disk and start all over. Bad choice. :confused:

open the raid and just chose raid 0 for each drive. You should not have to do anything realy just get the raid going and you should be able to go into windows and they should be there.
 
if the S3 has a similar feature set to my DS4, then you need to consider doing this:

  • verify that the new SATA hdd is connected to a purple port.
  • go into the bios and select "integrated peripherals", SATA controller (the top one) and set it to AHCI.
  • boot windows
  • install intel ich8 driver from either intel or gigabyte
 
You will probly have to go into your bios and chose raid somewhere in there, and then you will have an option to go into the raid option from boot up usually a ctrl-a or something like that, then go in and do what you want to do. you could just leave them alone or you could stripe the three drives or put in a raid 5 if you have on on board controller. Have fun. If all else fails use your gigabyte disk and make a driver disk and start all over. Bad choice. :confused:

open the raid and just chose raid 0 for each drive. You should not have to do anything realy just get the raid going and you should be able to go into windows and they should be there.

The Gigabyte S3 does not have the ICH8R, just a plain ICH8. Stop confusing Fangman with this talk of RAID.

drizzt81 said:
if the S3 has a similar feature set to my DS4, then you need to consider doing this:

* verify that the new SATA hdd is connected to a purple port.
* go into the bios and select "integrated peripherals", SATA controller (the top one) and set it to AHCI.
* boot windows
* install intel ich8 driver from either intel or gigabyte

Good advice here. Though I think that setting AHCI will require that the appropriate driver be installed in Windows, otherwise the JMicron controller won't work.

I haven't tried this myself, but the SATA0-3 option in the BIOS, when set to IDE instead of NATIVE, might let Windows recognize the ICH8 as a legacy IDE controller and thus avoid having to install another driver for it.
 
i've gone through the bios and changed the AHCI setting, however I still cannot see the HD.

Let me say again that I cannot see any HD that is using the orange (ICH8) slots on the motherboard, not even in the bios. Any hard drive that is using the Purple (gigabyte) slots work fine, and are detected in the Bios and windows.

Is it possible I have a defective board? it is a strange fact that non of the ICH8 sata ports work, so i am wondering either there is a setting I have over looked in the bios or the chipset is damaged somehow.

Anyway, i'm off to bed but I'll check back tomorrow morning and try any solutions.

Thanks for the help so far.
 

Unfortunately, the S3 does not support RAID in its ICH8. Only the two purple connectors - connected to the separate SATA RAID controller chip connected to the PCIe bus - supports RAID.

Also, Fangman, did you install the Intel INF chipset drivers when you first got this motherboard? If not, now is a good time to run that Intel INF utility. (The Intel driver which came with Windows XP is outdated - it was written back in the days of the old ICH5 series for the i865/i875 series chipsets, and does not support the newer ICH's like the ICH8.)
 
I have installed the latest ICH8 INF Driver from the gigabyte website to no success.
 
I have sent a e-mail to Gigayte using their GTS. Hopefully I will get some good advice from them.

If it turns out the MB is faulty, I will not be able to send it back for a while, at least 5 months. I am in uni and use my PC for assignments, study and leasure (games, TV, Films, flat has no TV)

Also taking out a motherboard is a REAL pain.

So I am asking about the posibility of getting a SATA controler card. I have a Spare PCI and PCI-E x1 slot on my MB that could house it. Should I bother going for that route? These hard drives are only intended for storage, not for games etc. Anything I should know about them? Found some cheap ones on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....K:MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=6891757695&rd=1&rd=1
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=300072662606&rd=1&rd=1

Thanks
 
Back
Top