New gigabit network install only at 100m need advice

wagsrules

[H]ard|Gawd
I am working on upgrading the network at my office and wiring another space and connecting them together. I have purchased two dlink dgs-1024d 24 port gigabit switch. I have both attached to a gigabit router. I have everything working except that the switch connected to the new wiring is only working at 100m. Every computer says they are only connected at 100m. The switch connected to the pre-existing wiring is all working at 1 gig. The old wiring is only cat5 and all the new wiring is cat5e. Here is the link to the cat5e that I used. http://www.neweggbusiness.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812107094. Can anyone help me figure out why my network is only operating at 100m. I have tried short several short cables connected to the switch and still cannot get 1gig.

Sounds like the new wiring wasn't done right.

Double check all four pairs were cut down in the right order.

Did you use patch panels? Rj-45 plugs crimped on both ends? Something else?

There are rules to gigabit networking .....

1. You must use certified Category 5e cabing
2. You must use 568A or 568B cabling pinouts on either end.
3. You must have no crimps in your wires.
4. You must make sure that you are using 4 pairs, 8 wires, pinned and crimped correctly. If you are using A or B spec listed above then you are going to be okay.
5. You must meet all of the above criteria or else you will not have the ability to run gig netwrking.

There are rules to gigabit networking .....

1. You must use certified Category 5e cabing
2. You must use 568A or 568B cabling pinouts on either end.
3. You must have no crimps in your wires.
4. You must make sure that you are using 4 pairs, 8 wires, pinned and crimped correctly. If you are using A or B spec listed above then you are going to be okay.
5. You must meet all of the above criteria or else you will not have the ability to run gig netwrking.

1. This is the cable I used. It should work with gigabit networking right? http://www.neweggbusiness.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812107094
2. I used the 568a cabling pinouts for the keystone jack and rj45 plug that goes to the switch. I used a tester to make sure all pairs worked and they all tested good.
3. I am pretty sure there are no crimps but I will recheck.
4. I tested each cable and the tested said each pair was wired correctly.

I will swap the switches around and see if that makes a difference. This way i can eliminate the switch from the problem.

Thanks for your help guys.

I consider myself very knowledgeable when it comes to computers but I do not have an IT degree. I handle everything tech related in our office.

Okay it was bothering me so I went to the office and swapped the switches around. Still no go. I took some premade cables and connected to the switch and I can get 1 gig connection. I tried some cables that I had made on the other switch that is working at 1 gig and I can only get 100m with those cables. My conclusion: The cable I bought will not work at 1 gig. My mistake was thinking that all cat5e cable would work.

It sounds like you wired the keystones incorrectly.

They can be quite a pain in the ass sometimes to make sure you aren't getting any crosstalk between wires.

Practice more on the keystones or hire someone that has some experience with it.

Oh also I can't tell if that is solid or stranded wire. But solid wire can be a huge pain also, just for some reason some connectors are picky about it. Sometimes I get unusable wires from solids, but I have never made an unusable stranded wire.

The wire is solid wire. I will check the keystones tomorrow. Can I just pull the wire from the keystone and reuse it (the keystone jack)?

The wire is solid wire. I will check the keystones tomorrow. Can I just pull the wire from the keystone and reuse it (the keystone jack)?

Yes... make sure you are using the correct colors on the keystone jacks.. THere should be little color codes with an A or B next to it.

Solid wire is typically used for long runs (patch panel to keystone, in the walls) while stranded is typically used for patches (patch panel to switch, keystone to PC/phone) because of its flexibility. Either will work for gigabit speeds.

@OP

Also ensure that your Cat 5e is not labelled "2-wire". I've run into this type of Cat 5e before (came with a free router from my ISP) and it will only support 100Mbit.

Okay got it all to work at 1gig speed. Part of the problem was the patch cables I made will not work over 100mb so I will just go and buy some patch cables. Some of the lines worked at 1 gig others not. The ones that didn't I just rewired the keystone jack and that worked for all but two. Those two I had to replace the rj45 plug at the switch.

Thanks for all the help guys. I really appreciate it.

Yup takes a little practice. First timers always make mistakes but with practice you perfect your ability to punch out flawless cabling time after time.

1. This is the cable I used. It should work with gigabit networking right? http://www.neweggbusiness.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812107094
2. I used the 568a cabling pinouts for the keystone jack and rj45 plug that goes to the switch. I used a tester to make sure all pairs worked and they all tested good.
3. I am pretty sure there are no crimps but I will recheck.
4. I tested each cable and the tested said each pair was wired correctly.

I will swap the switches around and see if that makes a difference. This way i can eliminate the switch from the problem.

Thanks for your help guys.

I consider myself very knowledgeable when it comes to computers but I do not have an IT degree. I handle everything tech related in our office.

also a pro tip, nobody uses A standard...

i guess i shouldn't say that... but i never let my techs use the A standard...

How long are your runs? If they are over 100m you will take a performance hit as well.

also a pro tip, nobody uses A standard...

i guess i shouldn't say that... but i never let my techs use the A standard...

A is apparently the standard in Canada or so lots of electricians like to tell me. If its a new install I do A. If iits an added drop I do what is on the patch panel. A is quite common up here.

Also A is better if you ever plan on using rj45 jacks for phones. Our one facility we do that. Makes it very easy to change a drop. Just go into the closet and patch it to a switch for network or to another patch panel that goes to our pbx.

Op it doesn't matter on the standard. Just pick one and stick with it.

Last edited:
How long are your runs? If they are over 100m you will take a performance hit as well.

None of the runs are any where near 100 meters.

A is apparently the standard in Canada or so lots of electricians like to tell me. If its a new install I do A. If iits an added drop I do what is on the patch panel. A is quite common up here.

Also A is better if you ever plan on using rj45 jacks for phones. Our one facility we do that. Makes it very easy to change a drop. Just go into the closet and patch it to a switch for network or to another patch panel that goes to our pbx.

Op it doesn't matter on the standard. Just pick one and stick with it.

I'm not sure which method the old wiring is. I just picked A and wired everything that way in the new part of the office. Both switches are connected to a router.

Thanks to all the advice I got from you guys everything is working great at 1 gig speed in the whole office.

Back