New Computer Time

Rock345

Weaksauce
Joined
Jul 2, 2003
Messages
87
Alright....don't know what to get to go with my 2005 FPW :)

Need a gaming machine for like 1500$ (obviously don't need monitor)
Need everything else:

need DVD burner
need 2 HDs (1 raptor pref + 1 for storage)
don't want AMD 754 processor (upgrade issues from what I read) - could go with Pentinum or AMD 939 Socket
would like 2 gig of mem
and the rest (including case and good PSW)

any suggestions?
 
my favorite question...what are you planning on doing with this computer?
 
heero884 said:
overclocked or non overclocked?

and does $1500 include tax and shipping?
around there...slighlty flexible

overclocking in the future...i'd rather not right now
 
I won't do out a full system spec for you, but here is what I would suggest generally:

An Athlon64 socket 939 proc
2GB of Corsair or Kingston RAM (both perform well and have great reliability)
The Asus A8N SLI (I think it's the A8N. It's the Asus 939 board that supports SLI)
a Geforce 6600GT or better (probably better)
 
my issue i'm running in to is that the edit: ( 3700+ ) is perfect except for the socket, where as the 939 chip sockets are either too slow or to much $$. Suggestions?
 
Rock345 said:
my issue i'm running in to is that the 3500+ is perfect except for the socket, where as the 939 chip sockets are either too slow or to much $$. Suggestions?

The 3500+ is a socket 939 chip. How is it exactly that the socket 939 chips are either too slow or too much $$ for you?

The 3500+ comes in under $300 and easily whips up on almost the full line of Pentium 4s in any game you throw at it. Paired with an nForce4 chipset motherboard it gives you support for dual channel memory, PCI express graphics, and NCQ SATA II support for newer hard drives.

The 3500+ is a great choice.
 
I am extremely happy with my new system, and I came in right around $1500 including shipping. No monitor, keyboard, or mouse:

MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum Socket 939
Athlon64 3200+ Winchester
Thermalright XP-90 Heatsink + 92mm Panaflo Fan
2x 512MB Corsair XMS DDR400
eVGA 6800GT
NV Silencer 5 Video Cooler
2x Western Digital 80GB SATA Drives in RAID0
Floppy Drive
Sony D22-A Dual Layer DVD-RW
Thermaltake Silent Purepower 480w Power Supply
CoolerMaster Praetorian Black Aluminum Case

I bought everything at Newegg, except for the mobo and CPU, which I got at Monarch. They had a combo that included HL2 and Farcry, plus Newegg didn't have my Neo2 in stock anyway.

The Raptor and 2GB RAM would cost you a bit more, but you may not want to spend as much as I did on a case, or maybe you could look at a 6600GT instead of a 6800GT.

At any rate, I am extremely satisfied with this system. I'm not the biggest FPS fan, but am glad I got the combo with the games to see what this beast can do. I wouldn't do anything differently in hindsight, which is saying a lot really. Good luck to you on your new system!
 
i apologize, i meant the 3700+

the 3500+ is at 274.00
the 3700+ (socket 754) is 319.00
next chip the 3800+ is 420.00$

is there much difference between the 3500+ and the 3700+ considering the sockets and the price?
 
The Bryophyte said:
I won't do out a full system spec for you, but here is what I would suggest generally:

An Athlon64 socket 939 proc
2GB of Corsair or Kingston RAM (both perform well and have great reliability)
The Asus A8N SLI (I think it's the A8N. It's the Asus 939 board that supports SLI)
a Geforce 6600GT or better (probably better)

from 2 GB RAM worth having?

zandor said:
Depends on what you're going to do with it. At work 1GB isn't enough since I run VMWare to make Windows apps available on my Linux machine there. For home 1GB would be enough if it were't for a programming project I'm working on. I expect my current 2GB isn't going to cut it, and I could very well end up seriously thinking about 2GB modules for this 8 slot dual Opteron board.
For a gaming + "general use" rig just get 2x512, but for pro level apps - particulary video stuff and very high res graphics work - more may well be worth it.

Windows can use the extra memory technically. However none of your applications or games are likely to bennifit from memory over 1GB.

1GB is really the way to go. If you've got a single 512MB chip you need to get a second to run in dual channel mode. If your running in single channel mode you are robbing yourself of alot of performance.

If the guy is just going to be gaming (no MMOs) and he only has 1500 bucks to spend, is it wise to get 2GB worth of RAM?

I've been looking and it seems to me that most people do not recommend 2GB in most situations - especially ones like these - it's not recommended by anyone. The thread I referenced is full of people who don't really recommend more than 1 GB.

*edited for my idiocy*
 
well i suggested it. but isn't more memory better anyway, esp to make the machine last longer i.e. go longer without an upgrade?
 
based on what I've read on here - and I've come looking for advice as well - invest the money in something else.

You could find a better way to spend the money - move up from a 6600 to a 6800. Or a faster proc.

I wouldn't get 2GB. In fact, I am buying - and I'm not getting 2GB.
 
I'm going with the AMD 3500+

I second the recommendation from above that says go with a 939 chip.

Here are the other specs I am looking at:

DFI LanParty SLI-DR - 225.00
AMD64 3500+ (90 nm Winchester) - 270.00
BFG 6800 GT OC (with dual dvi-out) - 480.00
1 GB Corsair XMS 4000 RAM - 250.00
74 GB 10,000 RPM Raptor (for OS/apps); 2 Seagate Barracuda 160 GB 7200 RPM SATA in RAID 1 (for storage - I know it's not much, particularly running RAID 1. But I don't need that much) - 450.00
Audigy 2 ZS sound card - 100.00

Total: 1775.00

But you don't have to get all that hard drive hardware or 1 GB RAM that is that expensive. You could get a comparable system for 1500 - don't skimp on the power supply, though - check the power supply forums for help.

Already have:
22" Viewsonic CRT
optical drives (DVD-ROM; DVD-RW)
CoolerMaster stacker case
floppy drive
PCP&C 510 SLI power supply
 
that setup sounds about what I want. Where would there be wiggle room (like the mobo?)
 
Need help with this current config:


CPU/MOBO:
Athlon 64 3500+ - 270.00
Asus "A8N-SLI Deluxe" - 199.00

Case:
Cooler Master Wave Master - 128.00
Antec 430w PSU - 75.00

Memory:
CORSAIR XMS 1 GB (512MBx2) - 243.27

Graphics Card:
XFX nVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT Video Card - 454.00

[H]ard Drives:
Raptor 74GB - 181.00
Segate 120GB Barracuda - 94.00

Optical Drives:
NEC 16x DVD+/-RW - 59.99

Alps Silver 3.5" Floppy Disk Drive - 9.50



Any suggestions to drop this price down, I want to buy for overclocking but I prlly never will, so suggestions for that too would be helpful
 
should i get the CPU and MOBO from Monarch? Is there any reason I shouldn't if it is cheaper?
 
orderd my stuff today:

new egg:
EVGA GF 6800GT
2 x HD 120G SATA Segate
DVD+/-RW 16x NEC

monarch:
Antec Plusview 1000AMG Case
PS 480W - Antec True480 ATX 12V Power Sup
Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe nForce4 SLI Audio/GB-
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 512K 90nm (939)
Thermaltake A1838 AMD Opteron/Athlon 64 H
1 GB (2 pcs 512) Corsair

anything else you woudl suggest (like will i need extra cables for any of this?)
 
well, since the turion is going in the s754, and everyone says it's probably gonna be at least as good an OCer as the XP-M was...i think it's safe to say that s754 now has a big enough upgrade path for me to want to invest. haha
 
Back
Top