New CellFactor / GRAW PhysX Footage

The ripping of those cloth flags and door curtains was really impressive! I like that more for practical application then throwing all of the crates around.

You can already tell how physics will be improving over time. Look at the cellfactor blood, as the cards get faster, it will look more fluid. I also liked the ripping fabric, I expect crysis will probably alllow ripping of leaves and foliage. Exciting stuff.

Seeing all of this, I can't help but stop and wonder; how long will it take for cpu's to exceed what's necessary to run both the game *and* the advanced physics the aegia card does? Right now(based on the Nalu demo from nvidia, the mermaid one) it looks like with a 6800 and an athlon xp 3200 you can render realistic hair at 1024x768(my max resolution, 15" monitor lol). Hair isn't that far from cloth, and if you view the demo in "points" mode the hair is basically a solid mass.

Somewhat the wrong thread, but while all this talk about aegia needing a killer app may be true, the real question is; do *I* need a killer app? I'm really not looking forward to having yet another device in my machine to spend money on. Remember the days of the 486 and the math co-processor? Seems like this should be the kind of thing nvidia/ati throw onto an empty section of the pcb, but what do I know?

Is that Cellfactor video MP footage or is that SP? If that is MP, OMG that looks insanely fun!!!

Spewn said:
Seeing all of this, I can't help but stop and wonder; how long will it take for cpu's to exceed what's necessary to run both the game *and* the advanced physics the aegia card does?
That is like asking how long it will take before a CPU could do the graphics rendering on it's own. As technology advances, so does many components of the PC, I don't think physics processing will be much different (although at possibly slower rates). This means that as time passes, the CPU may eventually be able to track the 100,000 physics objects that maybe a PPU is capped at right now (I'm pulling numbers from now where btw), but by that time a PPU might be able to track 10,000,000.

Lazy_Moron said:
Is that Cellfactor video MP footage or is that SP? If that is MP, OMG that looks insanely fun!!!
I would guess its MP, but I'm not sure.

Spewn said:
Seems like this should be the kind of thing nvidia/ati throw onto an empty section of the pcb, but what do I know?

When you find that empty section on the PCB, and that empty 30 more watts to add to the heatload on the HSF, and that empty space for the additional caps and other circuitry, and that empty space in the budget for adding a 120Million transistor chip....then you let me know ;)

Lazy_Moron said:
Yes, it is MP, although LAN-only MP because of bandwidth issues.

Yeah I don't know how they expect to send all that information over the internet. A. The server would have to have the Ageia card in it b. The server will have to report every single box and partlice movement through every computer connected to it. I wouldn't expect 32 person matches on these servers I can tell you that.

serbiaNem said:
You can already tell how physics will be improving over time. Look at the cellfactor blood, as the cards get faster, it will look more fluid.
The Blood looks like Ass.
It's like the blood in in zero gravity. Also last time I checked we didn't have 50 liters of blood in our bodies.

Xipher said:
Last time I checked, games aren't always based on humans...

last time I checked, amorphous blood bodies required something more then skin and blood to stay upright...

can 50 litres fit in a human body anyways?

the GRAW video actually makes me less likely to buy a physX card. the debris that flies out from the explosion travels unrealistically slow, and it looks like the extra physics calculations slow down the game. even if all the pretty effects ran at normal speed, i think the more subtle, physics-less explosions fit with the more "realistic" nature of ghost recon.

Spewn said:
Seeing all of this, I can't help but stop and wonder; how long will it take for cpu's to exceed what's necessary to run both the game *and* the advanced physics the aegia card does?
it won't matter because by the time that day comes, our new robot overlords won't give us enough free time to enjoy any games ;)

Mysticcal said:
last time I checked, amorphous blood bodies required something more then skin and blood to stay upright...

can 50 litres fit in a human body anyways?
They are throwing giant beams around without touching them, you don't think they could control their forms enough to keep themselves upright? :p

I hope the blood is over the top kill bill style to simply demonstrate and will be much more realistic whent he game is released.

tornadotsunamilife said:
I hope the blood is over the top kill bill style to simply demonstrate and will be much more realistic whent he game is released.
for me, the excessive amount of blood doesn't bother me as much as the fact that it looks like red mercury.

Its not so bad considering the whole demo was thrown together in less than 2 months

ScotteusMaximus said:
for me, the excessive amount of blood doesn't bother me as much as the fact that it looks like red mercury.

Ya, it's just like a bunch of unbreakable red water balloons being ejected from the wounds, they don't stick at all to the surface but slide (or roll for water balloons) unrealistically.

And as far as a cpu becoming more powerful than a ppu, I predict never. Both technologies should advance at their own pace. If you compare it to the gpu, I'm sure our current cpus can tackle graphics problems faster older gpus, but not even close to the current ones. So unless there is a major breakthrough in cpu technology, the current cpu will never outperform the current ppu. This is of course assuming the ppu survives.

ScotteusMaximus said:
the GRAW video actually makes me less likely to buy a physX card. the debris that flies out from the explosion travels unrealistically slow, and it looks like the extra physics calculations slow down the game. even if all the pretty effects ran at normal speed, i think the more subtle, physics-less explosions fit with the more "realistic" nature of ghost recon.

it won't matter because by the time that day comes, our new robot overlords won't give us enough free time to enjoy any games ;)

yeah i was wondering why the physx one was slower moving. it was either bad fps ot done in slow mo to demonstrate the higher detail. i hope its the latter, as i don't want the ppu to hinder graphics performance

edit: whoa the second time i saw the GRAW video running on a ppu, i noticed that the debris like...disappeared before the guy launched the 2nd grenade....what gives :confused:

Majin said:
It's like the blood in in zero gravity. Also last time I checked we didn't have 50 liters of blood in our bodies.

Psh... Do you play CS:S? The blood in that game is ridicolous. You can shoot out what looks like there entire blood system and they still are living...

I really dont care, blood add's a "coolness" factor to the game. I mean who wouldnt want to see someone spurt out gallons of blood when you shoot them? At least that is me...

Lazy_Moron said:
Psh... Do you play CS:S? The blood in that game is ridicolous. You can shoot out what looks like there entire blood system and they still are living...

I really dont care, blood add's a "coolness" factor to the game. I mean who wouldnt want to see someone spurt out gallons of blood when you shoot them? At least that is me...

I might not like it, seeing as I don't like shooting people in real life.

Will GRAW support the ppu out of the box? The FPS on the second dumpster looked slow and choppy. I wonder whats going on there.

serbiaNem said:
I might not like it, seeing as I don't like shooting people in real life.

Games != IRL...

Terra - I never killed IRL..but in games...lost count... ;)

HybridHB said:
Will GRAW support the ppu out of the box? The FPS on the second dumpster looked slow and choppy. I wonder whats going on there.

Seeing as the new cellfactor video dosn't show the same "slowdowns" I would hold my breath, and say they "slowmo' ed" it..to show the difference...

Terra...

Terra said:
Seeing as the new cellfactor video dosn't show the same "slowdowns" I would hold my breath, and say they "slowmo' ed" it..to show the difference...

Terra...

From what I saw of Cell Factor, it could *easily* cross over to the PC (or even be PC-exclusive), though the gameplay is almost like UT meets HL2 (the main character had a weapon in his right hand and a psi-talent like HL2's TK gun (which he was using left-handed)). However, everyone has been talking about CF as if it were a PS3 title. The new footage (in fact, nowhere on the developer's site) never mentioned a target platform for Cell Factor (though the PS3 *is* mentioned as a target for the developer's *other* title, Monster Madness, which uses Ageia PhysX as well). From the fact that the character uses a needle to inject him/herself, Cell Factor looks a lot like an M or even AO rated title (which would generally preclude a console target). GRAW is definitely multiplatform, though.

What drove the PS3 assumption?

PGHammer said:
What drove the PS3 assumption?

I never mentioned the PS3? :confused:

Tera - I don't speak about consoles as I have no interest in them what so ever ;)

GRAW is multi platform, but reviews say that the PC version is almost a different game entirely.

[RCKY] Thor said:
GRAW is multi platform, but reviews say that the PC version is almost a different game entirely.

The only reviews I have seen are without a PPU in the system?

Terra...

Majin said:
Well, it IS a demo that was created to show off what these PPU's can do. Having bodies spill out tons of blood is a good way to help demonstrate that. I'm guessing it will be lowered to be more realistic when the game is finished.

ChingChang said:
Well, it IS a demo that was created to show off what these PPU's can do. Having bodies spill out tons of blood is a good way to help demonstrate that. I'm guessing it will be lowered to be more realistic when the game is finished.

Or it might be a ingame option, giving you the choice of how much blood you want?

Terra...

Hey everyone, did anyone notice that, in the second video from the OP link (with Psy on), the player is hurt by some shrapnel? That is pretty neat imo. It is almost a whole new game with new challenges is introduced.

psychoace said:
Yeah I don't know how they expect to send all that information over the internet. A. The server would have to have the Ageia card in it b. The server will have to report every single box and partlice movement through every computer connected to it. I wouldn't expect 32 person matches on these servers I can tell you that.

the game is currently LAN only, according to this interview

Im really doubting on the AO rating. It's not the systems more so than it is the retailers. When San Andreas got re-rated it wasnt Sony that pulled it from store shelves, it was the stores and their game policies.

Back