New camera

Motley

2[H]4U
I just got myself a sweet new camera. The Canon Rebel SL1 in white.

Still trying to figure it out, but I took some photos of my model railroad.

IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

Looks like you are coming a long on your railroad setup. I might have framed the train a little further to the left.

From what I remember - Canon took the Txyz series guts and shrunk them into the SL1. I thought about picking one up a ways back but came across the EOS-M3 (import from Japan - the smallest swap lens canon makes), so I went that way instead.

What lens are you using at the moment? Did the camera come with the kit 18-55 or the 18-135?

If you like bokeh and are using a crop Canon (including the SL1), for down the road I'd look into getting the sigma 18-35 f/1.8 (on the $$$ side) or the new version Canon 50 f/1.8 (relatively cheap, about $100 bucks). Both are bokelicious. I'm using the sigma 24-35 f/2 (for full frame setups) and I love it.

50 is a tight view angle on a crop APS-C camera. dvsman, I think that is why you like the 24-35 because it is wider for everyday use.

It came with two lenses. The 18-55 STM & 75-300mm.

Here's a shot I took while at the Coors Brewery in Golden, CO. I used the 75-300 for this shot.

IMG_0127.jpg

babby's first rabal, oh how i remember those days.

still have my original digital rebel, the 300D. 6 megapixel and a junk kit lens.

replaced it with a 20D which i still have, and that wasn't good enough.

got a 7D and some L glass, some fast primes, a tamron 17-50 f/2.8, a bunch of radio triggers, an einstein, a 430ex II, a ton of light modifiers, spent big money on the fastest CF cards i could get. made a decent bit of money freelancing shooting sports, weddings, fashion and highschool seniors/proms etc. lusted after a 1Dx or 5D3.

once it became more work than fun i sold it all. now i just have my 20D and a kit lens.

enjoy your rabal! :D

as for the sigma 18-35 f 1.8 don't waste your money, just get a tamron 17-50 2.8 instead or a canon 17-55 2.8 if you can afford it. the 50 1.8 is junk with its noisy micromotor and often misses focus even with cross type center point, i know i had one. the bokeh is only acceptable wide open as it has a 5 blade aperture and once you stop down to f/2 or anything smaller you get the nasty 5 blade look of harsh bokeh.

the 70-200 f/4 L is simply one of the best lenses canon makes for the price. i rented a f/2.8 non IS model for three months and often found i didn't need f/2.8 outside of shooting night sports anyway. if you need f/2.8 that's one thing, but the f/4 L is just so handy and light. the bokeh wide open is excellent, shoot it at f/4 all day long.

my favorite portrait lens was the 85 1.8 USM.

always shoot in raw. don't be scared of noise. noise is NOT an issue if you shoot in raw and process in lightroom. i'd often shoot ISO 6400 on the 7D, do a quick color noise removal and call it a day in post processing. nothing looks worse than color noise in jpegs - that might be fine for newsprint on short notice but for anything online it looks like junk.

oh, body grips are a must. not sure how people get by without one. double the battery life and you don't look like an idiot when shooting verticals.

Back