• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

New board.. ditch create X-fi?

Copyright

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Nov 17, 2000
Messages
6,004
Just picked up an MSI GD65 and plan on using the SPDIF out into a Zero DAC/headphone amp. I have a titanium pro sound card that I am not sure is worth installing since I am using the optical out? Opinions please. I can always sell this to get some $ back towards my upgrade lol.
 
Audio quality is a moot point since you're going external, so it depends on what you plan to do. The X-Fi is mostly for offloading sound processing through OpenAL and does a good job of audio mastering as well, so figure out what you want first. The ALC889/S is a great chip for analog quality, and the drivers are stable as well (I use it on an MSI Wind), and SPDIF works just fine. Up to you. I haven't heard about X-Fi incompatibilities with newer motherboards like the P55.
 
Audio quality is a moot point since you're going external, so it depends on what you plan to do. The X-Fi is mostly for offloading sound processing through OpenAL and does a good job of audio mastering as well, so figure out what you want first. The ALC889/S is a great chip for analog quality, and the drivers are stable as well (I use it on an MSI Wind), and SPDIF works just fine. Up to you. I haven't heard about X-Fi incompatibilities with newer motherboards like the P55.

Just curious if its worth keeping with a 2.0 speaker setup and headphones. If its worth keeping I will just keep it but I will only be using the SPDIF out of it. Being digital out I was not sure if I would be taking any advantage of the titanium card.
 
Every time I get a new motherboard I give the on board audio a try and every time I install my audigy I notice a quality improvement. I guess give both a try and see what sounds best to your. If I'm not mistaken I though the Digital out was just a pass-though and would be handled by your amp anyway.
 
Every time I get a new motherboard I give the on board audio a try and every time I install my audigy I notice a quality improvement. I guess give both a try and see what sounds best to your. If I'm not mistaken I though the Digital out was just a pass-though and would be handled by your amp anyway.

Yeah, this is why im trying to justify even using the card. X-fi seems to make a difference but the DAC in my Zero is pretty good so I am thinking maybe I can sell the card for 75$ shipped and get some money back I could really use.
 
Back
Top