New Blu-ray Specs Clarified

HardOCP News

[H] News
The Blu-ray Disc Association, has clarified what new specs and features will be coming out in October when the new Blu-ray players come out.

While it is true that the Blu-ray Disc Association recently set new minimum specifications for players produced after October 31--as we first outlined in our "High-Def Video Superguide"--those specifications only expand on the capabilities already present in existing players.

I guess this blu-ray is the path of the future... It seems like EVERYONE just got converted over to DVD and now there is something else. I know I am looking forward to playing java games after I watch a movie with a dvd remote control:rolleyes:

Thanks for the update as always Steve

buying a ps3 primarily for the BD, I was a deer in headlights at this title but eased when I read what it entails. whoop

And NONE of this interests me at all. Downloadable content after the fact, no thanks - it should be on disc already. Why does everything practiaclly REQUIRE net access these days? Do I really want a visual representation of the DC track on screen distracting me even more from the main film/show/whatever than a DC audio track already does? Screw that.

Notice that they mention nothing about ratcheting up of the copy protection schemes. You can be certain *something* has been done since the Muslix64 derived HDDVD/blu ray tool came out, and others.. I wonder if any of the original players or discs in the first wave are going to be blacklisted this round? Nothing more than a blip in the road really, at least there's still Slysoft with AnyDVD HD to take up the slack.

Oh, and screw Hidef players (which ever side), still too expensive (exception the PC capable M$ X360 addon player), media choices too slim still, f*cked copy protection for those too dumb to know about AnyDVD HD and the like..I don't see it really taking off until sane pricing on consumer level HD/BR PC burners... Like what happened to the SD DVD market. It didn't really get saturated until the sub $200 (or lower) burners, sub $100 STB players, etc. I *might* consider it in the future with 1080 TVs @ mainstream prices (ie: where the majority of 768 sets are now). 1366x768 (most common) seems more of a stop gap solution, besides by the end of the year we're supposed to see a ~30% drop in pricing if reports correct; ie: 37" sets @ the levels many 32" sets are now if my math is correct.

Meh, no edit function FTL (always happens :)).

Re: the DVD switch-over comment in a previous post..What about high level SD DVD adopters? Anyone remember the pic of Steve's living room stash (or was it Kyle?) - like the whole friggin' wall taken up by rack after rack (after....) of DVDs and console games - insane! Like someone like that will really want to replace the entire collection just for an increase in the resolution (give me quality films H-wood [too much crap these days]). And if the VHS > DVD change is any indication, many titles will never make it to HD formats anyway.

And NONE of this interests me at all. Downloadable content after the fact, no thanks - it should be on disc already. Why does everything practiaclly REQUIRE net access these days? Do I really want a visual representation of the DC track on screen distracting me even more from the main film/show/whatever than a DC audio track already does? Screw that..
no shit. altho this does seem to target the young

,.like the whole friggin' wall taken up by rack after rack (after....) of DVDs and console games - insane!
insane as in an eye sore! I love seeing those who display all the crap, its a good laugh

Meh, no edit function FTL (always happens :)).

Re: the DVD switch-over comment in a previous post..What about high level SD DVD adopters? Anyone remember the pic of Steve's living room stash (or was it Kyle?) - like the whole friggin' wall taken up by rack after rack (after....) of DVDs and console games - insane! Like someone like that will really want to replace the entire collection just for an increase in the resolution (give me quality films H-wood [too much crap these days]). And if the VHS > DVD change is any indication, many titles will never make it to HD formats anyway.

Here is a pic Steve posted on hypothermia, is that what you are refering too?
http://www.****************************/dvd_collection.jpg

By the way all these new features coming, HD DVD already friggin has. Sony and its stupid consumers kill me. Lets pay more money for inferior picture quality, shitty codecs, and tout higher storage capacity when 90% of the movies on Blu-Ray are 25gigs or less, smaller than HD DVD. Not to mention the players themselves cost more. Oh and its way more expensive to produce Blu-Ray discs. So score points for Sony marketing bullshit, but thats about all they get. Last I checked Toshiba has never done anything "Evil" as a company like Sony has. With Sony' and its rootkit CD's, and 8 million failed file formats over the years.

By the way all these new features coming, HD DVD already friggin has. Sony and its stupid consumers kill me. Lets pay more money for inferior picture quality, shitty codecs, and tout higher storage capacity when 90% of the movies on Blu-Ray are 25gigs or less, smaller than HD DVD. Not to mention the players themselves cost more. Oh and its way more expensive to produce Blu-Ray discs. So score points for Sony marketing bullshit, but thats about all they get. Last I checked Toshiba has never done anything "Evil" as a company like Sony has. With Sony' and its rootkit CD's, and 8 million failed file formats over the years.
"inferior picture quality" is a studio issue not a format one, Warner uses the same VC-1 encodes for their HD DVD and BR releases. You are thinking about the older BR titles that used a real time encoding process.

Shitty codecs? BR supports all the codecs that HD DVD does and also has LPCM. BR Players are dropping in price the new Samsung BD1200 for $600+ that competes pretty squarly with the XA2, then of course you have the PS3 whihc possibly the most future proof of the players available. IIRC there have also been some standard issues with HD DVD.

HD DVD is cheaper to produce because it uses existing DVD manufacturing hardware. I don't see that as a reason for picking one over the other esp. when shopping around gets you almost identical prices.

As far as Sony being evil, I'll give you the rootkit thing, but how does failed formats make them bad? These new standards aren't make or break, just simple additions. It's no secret that BR was rushed, HD DVD had a head start on them so they had to get something out the door. While that sounds shitty, and it is to a certain degree, the early adopters don't really seem to care. Many know these players aren't going to be their one and only any time soon. Many XA1 owners jumped at the A2/XA2 to get a more reliable/smoother/faster player, same with BR.

Back