New Audio for Rig

bigredcat

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 28, 2006
Messages
188
I'm going to be upgrading my audio soon and want to get some input. Right now I have an "ok" headset and use onboard sound. I would like to completely overhaul my audio, as I have overlooked it for years. I was looking around and reading reviews and picked out a new sound card and headset.

Sound Card: Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Professional Series

Headset: Razer Barracuda HP-1 8 Channel Gaming Headphones

I am not concerned with cost (within reason). I have read great things about both of these products, and I am looking to see what you guys think. Thanks.
 
If I was you and looking for a good setup for gaming (which is seems like you want).

I'd go with the creative XFI extreme music or the platinum (the extra RAM in the fatality is mostly useless at this point) + a set of audio technica a900s or beyer DT770pros (80 ohm).

The CMSS stuff in the XFI makes a 2 channel headphone solution extremely good in game. I also have yet to hear about any good multichannel headsets.

One of those two headphones above + a clip on Mic (the zalman one is usually recommended) would be ideal for a gaming rig.

As far as the 2 headphones above, i'd recommend the a900s because they are extremely comfortable to wear for long periods and they don't require an amp to sound superb. The 770s are good, but need an amp to really shine.
 
Thanks for the input. Yes, I should have stated that I was looking for a setup for gaming. I had chosen the Razer headset, because I would like a mic as well. Voice isn't critical, but I would very much like a mic on the headset.
 
You could also just buy the plain XtremeGamer and invest more on the headphones, All X-Fi sound the same except for the Elite Pro, the X-Ram didn't help in all games and in the games that support it the difference is not significant.
 
I have the Audigy 2 ZS + Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro (250 ohm). The beyer's are amazing, they have plenty of bass but as others said they do need a amp especially with the 250 ohm version.

That combo right there is awesome for gaming. Theres no compatibility issues with bf2 or anything like that.
 
Lol, sorry schapman I blanked out the whole part about the clip on mic. I wasn't thinking.

Ok, I have no problem spending cash on a set of headphones. With good ole Uncle Sam is gonna be giving me some cash back soon, and some overtime at work.

I would prefer to buy a great quality, and it sounds like the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro are good but why go with a set with high impedence (250ohm) and get an amp. When the Audio Technica A900 are much less (40ohm) and would not require and amp to boost the signal.

Sounds to me like the Audio Technica A900 would almost be the best. I dont see much point in taking a signal and trying to boost it for a set with higer impedence (DT 770 Pro).
Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks again for all of your input guys.
 
I am in a similar position. I decided to go with the A900s over the DT770s. From reviews, the A900s sound VERY good without and amp. They're only $180 with shipping from Audiocubes which is a good amount cheaper than the DT770s. I also like the design of the A900s better. :D

Edit: The A900s also seem to have much more bass than the Beyers (DT 770s or 880s). Correct me if I'm wrong.
 
I've heard both and much preferred the a900s. They're similar quality, but I preferred the warm sound signature of the ATs. The beyers were being powered from a millet-hybrid so I don't know if I lost anything in the sinergy there.
 
The DT770's should have more bass than the A900's.

DT770's can be had for around $150, so it's cheaper than the A900's.
 
Ok, I went with the ATH-900. Now I just need to decide on the audio card. I was also looking at the Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite 7.1 Channels. Any one have any thoughts on that card? Mainly looking for a great sound card under $300.00. Any other suggestions would be awesome. Thanks as always guys.
 
Back
Top