New 9800 Pro issues

ghostchamber

[H]ard|Gawd
I seem to be having problems with my new 9800 Pro. A good amount of the games I play on a regular basis are very jumpy. Most notably were Neverwinter Nights, GTA Vice City, Far Cry, and Halo. Now, this happens regardless of whether or not there is a lot going on in the game (i.e. walking down a hall in Halo; driving down the street in Vice City). In Neverwinter Nights, it is pretty consistent no matter what is happening in the game; even if I pan the camera around my character, there is still an occasional, brief pause. The really annoying part is that I just upgraded from a Geforce4 Ti4200, and I didn't have this problem with that card.

I had start off with the Catalyst 4.6, and now I'm using the Omega 2.5.52 (which are based on the Cat 4.6). The problem occurs with both. I even tried the Cat 4.5's, and I still had the problem. I'd also like to note when I uninstalled/reinstalled the drivers, I used Driver Cleaner 3.0.

Here are my system specs:

Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2
ASUS A7A266 Bios Revision 1012
Athlon XP 2100+
512 MB Kingston HyperX PC2700 + 256 MB Kingston ValuRam PC2100
7200 Western Digital 60 Gig
Creative Labs Audigy 2

I'm thinking it might be my motherboard. The damn thing is going on about 3 years old, and I'm planning on buying a new one soon. However, I won't be sure until then, and any other suggestions would be appreciated. Please let me know if I left out any vital system specds.

Thanks,

Ghostchamber

"Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2"
isn't Service Pack 2 still being tested? I would think that's your problem.

i have that problem, sorta
my system is pretty low
i have a radeon 9800pro 256mb, r360 core (the one with the crappy hsf)
when i play ut2004 for a while the thing will kinda pause, i say kinda because i can still move but not move the camera, after a few seconds i can move again, its really annoying so i stopped playing, after a while i cam back and no probs, so i figured it may be the card heat
my case dont have fans atm, im building my system and havent got a decent case yet

Back