Never Again Asus... Never Again

I don't really know about the Asus' boards nowadays, but in the socket 479 era they rocked with models like p4p800 and p4c800. I loved my Asus boards that I had, and never had any problems with them, unlike with Epox or Abit boards. ;-)

So my suggestion, check for any kind of metal contact that may cause a short. If it works outside the case, its something in there that is disrupting it. I was thinking there might have been a static buildup since I have sound dampening material in the case, just anything that could cause static or metal contact. Take it off the carpet, something!

Yeah, I suggest the same thing. I've had the same kind of experiences sometimes..
You could always get another brand than Asus, if they will not work.. The DFI's are really nice.

Trucker61 said:
Never a problem for me with an Asus board, Abit seems to be my problem child. I swore them off about a year ago, I will never have another. Best of luck to you getting it sorted out.

Heh same here, I had a brand new Abit Nforce4 mobo last summer that was a royal PIA to set up, when it did work it crashed soon after. So I replaced it with an Asus and everything was rosy.

This summers conroe upgrade was boosted by the fact that my supplier got the Abit AB9 PRO in stock early and at a good price. Guess if the board works?

So here I am again swearing that I will never buy an Abit board again (until next summer anyway)

Well I overnighted a board to them for repair....following the phone call I had with them.
I had to pay overnight shipping both ways....emergency..
when I got it back...WTF the box had NEVER BEEN OPENED
of course it was still dead.

THEY SUCK BIG TIME

sparks

Wildfire said:
Yeah I said F*#$ Asus after the P4S8X fiasco (never did get a working one!) I'm a firm believer they produce some of the finest pieces of s*#( out there.

Phew, the P4S8X was a real stinker. The worst computer component purchase I ever made. I haven't touched Asus since and I never will again.

Listened to my stupid roommate and got the A8n-SLI deluxe when i could have gotten the A8n-e cheaper. Needless to say the chipset fan has been replaced twice and I still can hear the whining. Now the board refuses to POST and display the video. Called tech support 3 times, getting a retard all three times who tells me its probably the memory controller. Oh well the board worked for 1 year. RMA time ....... ugh!

This is a follow up to the post I made about a week ago about the 3 Asus M2N-SLI boards
that were DOA or caught Fire. In that post I said I was ordering a Gigabyte AM2 Board.
I have since received it and installed it, the same way as the ASUS....in fact the board even appear similar in design. Once installed I pressed the power button, it posted and booted up just fine. This is the way it should be. I am confident in the fact that it was not my building skills which caused the issue but rather a flawed board design or a bad batch of caps or other materials. There are too many people having the same experiences to pass it off as fluke or inexperienced builders. I had 2 other people involved in my build since its conception and both have been building PC's for over 10 years. Please keep in mind the ASUS board was tested on a phone book (per suggestion from ASUS) with nothing more than the proc, heat sink and the fan. The 12v lead for the proc was not plugged in and only the 20 pin main was. This test destroyed 2 boards and set fire to a 3rd. I used 3 different boards, 3 different psu's, same result. I now recommend Gigabyte for any AM2 applications.

Thanks for reading! :D

probably just the boards. Had a board few weeks ago that i had a bit of trouble with, i refused to beleive it was the board, and something i was doing. Ended up RMA'ing back to newegg, new board went perfect. 2 yellow crabs were cought in a few weeks time, you got 3 bad boards back to back and we still havent found any aliens... weird shit happens.

I just think it's amazing what people will accept from "ASUS is probably "The Best" mobo brand their is..." (1). Apparently Asus is the best when you're lucky enough to get the one that works after multiple RMAs.

Back in the early 80's Dodge got a bad reputation for reliability. I owned 3 early-80's Dodges through the 80's and never had a problem with any (I got lucky) and love Dodges to this day. My mom owned one Dodge from that time period, got a lemon, and never went back. Dodge eventually admitted the problems and have since done a pretty good job turning themselves around (even before they became German), if Asus doesn't make some changes I don't care how good the board looks on paper or if it can overclock a Celeron 500A to 3 gig with stock cooling... it's not going to be worth the hassle.

(1) quoted from: USMC2Hard4U

I had two Asus A8N-SLI boards fail on me.... I gave up on them completley and went with MSI... which worked perfectly. I did finally give them a last try with the new M2N boards and it works great... they way it should!

So I dunno, maybe Asus had some bad batches in the mix?

I highly doubt you did this since you run an upgrade shop, but did you by any chance forget to plug in an extra 12V power connector for the CPU?

Just throwin it out there. :D

Sikpupi said:
This summers conroe upgrade was boosted by the fact that my supplier got the Abit AB9 PRO in stock early and at a good price. Guess if the board works?

So here I am again swearing that I will never buy an Abit board again (until next summer anyway)
tbh honest all the 965 boards seem to be having problems (& according to the Inquirer the coming 965G chipset really sucks at this stage in development).
Have you tried the new AB9 BIOS?
Although it doesn't cure everything they seem to be making some progress.

I have had great luck with ASUS boards... so who knows...

This one I am using now is even a via chipset and it's awsome.

I have heard of strings of bad luck before... but if several boards from several vendors are failing in the same way, then I doubt it is the manufacturer.

\
Well I overnighted a board to them for repair....following the phone call I had with them.
I had to pay overnight shipping both ways....emergency..
when I got it back...WTF the box had NEVER BEEN OPENED
of course it was still dead.

THEY SUCK BIG TIME

Are you kidding me? Did you write the RMA# on the outside of the box? Make sure you call them up and demand a refund for everything. Keep calling until they either agree or block your phone #.

And Veek :). Of course I checked the 12v plug hahaha. I definitely think it's a problem with the chipset. QC on alot of these boards just isn't great... Eh, I'll be getting a new board a couple of days from now in the mail... I'll post back and see what happens.

I've been using Asus boards for about 8 years. I've had one bad board, an A8N SLi Deluxe. Sent it back for RMA, worked perfectly.

My current rig totally rocks. Guess I'm just lucky.

Out of quite a few Asus boards, I have RMA'd just one and replaced it with the same board, has been working fine for over a year. My current main system uses an A8N SLI Premium and its flawless. I have only used Asus boards for my personal builds and client type builds and haven't had any issues. I use Asus boards because they are 'good for business', I will not swear by them out of blind loyalty because all brands have their issues...

Dark Prodigy said:
Out of quite a few Asus boards, I have RMA'd just one and replaced it with the same board, has been working fine for over a year. My current main system uses an A8N SLI Premium and its flawless. I have only used Asus boards for my personal builds and client type builds and haven't had any issues. I use Asus boards because they are 'good for business', I will not swear by them out of blind loyalty because all brands have their issues...

Exactly!

I hate these "Never again *insert company here*!!!" pity threads. Every product, every company, has issues at some point or another.

Well, generally I agree with you. But ever since I've had THREE bad boards in a row now... Of course all companies have problems, but so far 100% of the Asus boards I've used were DOA... That shouldn't happen. Ever.

Browsing other forums and threads here on [H] we can see that this is NOT an isolated problem, and is one that might warrant discussion. I was just looking to see other's experiences with ASUS boards, and by the looks of it there seems to be a few problems. It does seem strange that MANY Nforce boards are experiencing the same issues, lots of DOA boards.

I'm glad to hear your one DOA board was replaced. I don't doubt, however, if you were in my position you'd be looking for answers too.

no offense, but it just seems suspect...

See many boards have cold boot problems, but there are also many solutions, and it just takes some time carefully working the problems out.

You keep referencing your industry credentials... why? If you really know what you are doing you don't need to post your resume.

Cold boot problems are VERY common... and it doesn't mean the board is bad.

I have had to reset cmos, update bioses, remove all cards, remove one channel of RAM, use PCI video, pull the battery, use default boot key combos, lots of things for different boards... but in the end, it just takes some fiddling to get everything working.

3 bad name-brand boards in a row just seems suspect.

back in the day it was more common to get bad board after bad board... but that was when you could buy no-name brand stuff.

I agree, getting 3 bad boards is suspect too.

Although, if you had read my different posts (which you might not have done in such a long thread) to see the different things I have tried. I've tried alot on at least 2 of the boards. Sure, I didn't diagnose the third board for a full couple of hours, but that's because I've already been waiting for almost 3 months to get this upgrade completed. As I've stated many times, I'm able to boot off a different HD with my Asrock board, with all of the same hardware. That pretty much proves it's the motherboard (or the HD, but it mounts in both my Mac, and over external USB and FW connections so I'd doubt that too).

You keep referencing your industry credentials... why? If you really know what you are doing you don't need to post your resume.

When have I referenced my credentials? Once in this thread? Maybe 3 times across all 1400 of my posts? That's to show that I know a little bit more than the user that wouldn't know to reset the CMOS/reseat cards/try a different processor|PSU|RAM... I cannot flash the BIOS as the board doesn't even get that far.

Let me re-iterate... the third board turns on immediately without having to connect the PWR pins and turns right off. The second I flip the PSU on, fans spin, and die. This happens with all my PSU's.

Could you please tell me what you mean by "use default boot key combos" as I was unaware that keyboard interrupts were accepted until after the BIOS had initialized and assigned the input device an IRQ... Maybe I missed something?

I haven't had any issues with my older Asus boards but man..Aopen creates the biggest piece of shit on earth. Don't even think about purchasing one.

I second the DFI's.

Yes, A good friend of mine had his Aopen board completely cop out whenever he plugged in a USB drive. After a few BSOD's we smelt smoke and no boot...

Could you please tell me what you mean by "use default boot key combos" as I was unaware that keyboard interrupts were accepted until after the BIOS had initialized and assigned the input device an IRQ... Maybe I missed something?

depending on the bios, some boards support a failsafe key combo that will run a bios flash utility, and it will take a bios from a floppy and flash... this all being before POST.

This would allow flashing even if you fucked up an OC, or had unsupported CPU that needed a flash to enable.

I have owned about 4 ASUS boards in my lifetime, and have built around an aditional 6 computers with ASUS board's in them.
I have yet to see a problem with any ASUS board I have used/installed,
In fact I'm typing this on a A8R32-MVP right now and love it. Now I'm not an ASUS nut as I do build using GIGABIT, ASRock(technicly ASUS I know) and MSI but I do prefer ASUS boards.

Maybe I'm just lucky but I've never had a problem with any motherboard, ASUS or otherwise period.

Chilly said:
Maybe I'm just lucky but I've never had a problem with any motherboard, ASUS or otherwise period.

I think it is just the OP is has not been "lucky". As with most things most people are not going to have any big issues. Hell I had an intel board catch fire the other day when the voltage regulator on it blew up. I've worked on a few thousand machines and this is one of the first times I've seen anything like that. That was an interesting call to intel. Personaly I have had good luck with asus although I have read about issues with the board the op was talking about. Seems to have more complaints then most do.

Bwahahaha. I can finally prove I'm not a noob (well, I'm a noob with luck) as I recieved my latest Asus board... This one had a sticker on the anti-static bag proving it was as new as possible. Lo and behold... Posted instantly.

I was called by a rep from the place where I bought the board (vibecomputers.com), asking how the new setup went. I told him about the sticker, which he said "intregued him". After being on hold for a few minutes, it turned out that the website's local distributer (they were drop-shipping these to me) was sending me ones that were supposed to GO BACK TO ASUS!!!!!

So yeah. I had RMA'd boards. Long story short, I was refunded 220$ (the board + ALL shipping charges for each board). I called the warehouse that was drop-shipping the boards and yelled at them for awhile... For fun.

So, there you have it. The main seller website, Vibecomputer.com was an awesome participant throughout the entire ordeal. They overnighted me 3 boards at their own expense, called me long distance from halfway across my country... Their local distributer... (don't know their name) are total f*cktards. Period.

I've personally built 100+ systems with Asus based motherboards with only one DOA. Compared to Gigabyte and MSI, I would recommend Asus everyday of the week.

Sounds like Ass has really gone downhill since then.

I know they were a pretty popular brand name (and Abit, too). They seem to always have problems lately.

Nice to hear everything turned out OK and that you weren't the n00b here :D.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Asrock Asus' cheap brand?

(and Abit, too).

abit did used to be awsome...

I think these days it is harder to make a solid board all around.

Back when abit was king, nearly *any* BX chipset board was good (the one I had from gigabyte lasted several upgrades and it is still being used)... just abit was first with bios overclocking.

now every board has onboard sound, extra controller chips, network controllers, many many ports, and a million and one other things, pushing the board manufacturers to skimp on things like chipset fans, PCB layers, caps... it's pretty rediculous.

Yashu said:
now every board has onboard sound, extra controller chips, network controllers, many many ports, and a million and one other things, pushing the board manufacturers to skimp on things like chipset fans, PCB layers, caps... it's pretty rediculous.

I disagree... they shouldn't be forced to skimp as much as it seems they are. In a market with many enthusiasts (or just people who want to brag about their underused hardware) there's a solid market for high-priced, quality boards with all the trimmings.

Make the high-end enthusiast boards... charge whatever you want because people will buy it anyway (Think the Ford GT). Then you release the same board with 5.1 audio instead of 8-channel, 2 instead of 4 SATA connectors, and only 1 LAN jack. You sell that as a "budget performance" (Like a Ford Mustang Cobra/GT). Then you tear off the PCIe, support to dual channel RAM and OTIS and call it the "basic" board (Like a Ford Mustang 4/6-cylinder). Then you yank the SATA support entirely, take out Paralel/Serial Ports, whatever and call it the "budget" board (Like a Ford... well... Tempo).

If you're building a quality product, delivering full support, marketting correctly... there's no reason to skimp on production... people will buy it anyway. Well, none that is except sheer greed and the knowledge that enough people will probably not complain to make enough of a dent in your sales to matter in the end, they'll just accept it as acceptable standards (thanks Bill Gates and Microsoft for lowering the bar so far).

yeah but DFI has done this... and it works on a small scale. Their Venus board would be the ford GT in your analogy, with the cobra being the EXPERT board... and so on.

but the board manufacturing is so costly and takes so many resources, that I don't think there can be a "boutique" motherboard maker. DFI was only able to offer the venus as a limited run, but they have done a fairly good job on the expert and the ATI counterpart to that. Their chipset cooling is crap, but they assume the true enthusiast will rip it off anyhow.

Your analogy, however, with the ford GT as an example... if a motherboard was truly congruent to this, it would have NO onboard sound... and only the very basic chipset features... just like a true performance car is not going to have the luxuries of a sedan.

I hate using car analogies... but I think it holds up.

I like Asus though... I have had mostly good luck with them, and even their asrock boards are nice. If nvidia didn't buy out ULI, I would have a working x64 unified driver and be running the asrock dual sata2 board that I own.

The microsoft comment, though, is ignorant. Microsoft bashing is so passe'.

I too had grief with the first A8N32-SLI mobo I bought. Put a loaner 3500+ in it, fired it up for the first time and not even 5 min into looking thru the BIOS settings it shut down on me, never to reboot. Got an immediate replacement from the local brick and mortar store here and fired up OK. Had some wierd SATA issues with it though, couldn't remove a drive I had hooked up to the internal Silicon Image controller to transfer off some data to a RAID1 I had setup up on the nVidia SATAs. No combination of disabling in BIOS or Device Manager would work, as soon as I physically unhooked it, the machine wouldn't boot back into XP. Noticed the BIOS was version 1103, so I updated to 1205 which fixed this problem, but caused a bunch of errors with USB devices where now XP would hang on reboot unless I unhooked my Logitech G5 laser mouse and the USB hub for my Microsoft Keyboard? Read on some forum somewhere where this issue could crop up if Win XP didn't have SP2 slipstreamed during install, and to delete the entire PCI bus in Device Manager and let the system redetect everything. Other than renaming and reordering my network devices this seemed to work just fine. Now I'm running 4400 X2 on it but am having no luck with OCing, pretty sure this pair of Kingston 1GB modules is the culprit. Any advice on timings for this mobo? :(

Yashu said:
abit did used to be awsome....
still are ;)
but a lot of others have caught up & it's harder to differentiate yourself as a manufacturer these days.

Watching the RAM compatibility problems that many are having with AM2 & Core 2 I can't help but think that some of this tech. is also being rushed out the doors to market too soon ...

well you knw core2 was... I mean the chipset that was supposed to be the first official core2 chipset... 965p, those boards are rushed rushed... intel didn't get the chips to the manufacturers until a couple months before the conroe release. There are other things about conroe that mark it as rushed... but I don't want to start a flame war.

AM2 problems are probably partly due to the unconventional use of the ddr2... since it doesn't run at the standard speeds... it leaves alot of guesswork.

Back