Networking noob, need help setting up repeater.

Trying to setup a repeater down stairs for better wifi signal but am running into a problem.

The main router I use for my network is a Linksys WRT54GL. The router I'm trying to hook up as a repeater is a Asus RT-N10+. The issue I'm running into is that they both use the same IP address for the web gui so when I try to configure the Asus it goes straight to my Linksys instead.

I tried to disconnect the Linksys in order to get the Asus going in repeater mode but didn't work. What I'm wanting to do is change the router IP address on the Asus so I can have both of them online at the same time to get the Asus going as a repeater. I tried to change the Asus IP but when I did it asked me something along the lines of whether I wanted to change the DHCP address being it didn't match what I had typed in as the router IP.

Not having any real knowledge of networking I didn't want it to make the change and possibly take down my network.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Turn off DHCP on your new router and it won't ask that question. Make sure you turn off the server portion. You want one device issuing addresses.

Manually assign an address to the new router that is 1 higher than your old one (or next available address).

Blam!

For additional effect you can sometimes set these devices into dumber modes with just a switch which will do any additional configuration for you automatically.

Turn off DHCP on your new router and it won't ask that question. Make sure you turn off the server portion. You want one device issuing addresses.

Manually assign an address to the new router that is 1 higher than your old one (or next available address).

Blam!

For additional effect you can sometimes set these devices into dumber modes with just a switch which will do any additional configuration for you automatically.

Ok thanks, will give it another shot.

Got another issue. I did turn off DHCP and managed to change the IP address of the router but it don't seem to stay. I tried a few different addresses and the router page reloaded like it should but it only works for about a minute and then nothing else loads after that.

After it quits working I cannot access at the original IP address or the new one I assigned so I have to reset the router and start back over.

Back