Networking in Hyper-V?

AMD_Gamer

Fully [H]
How do you get the networking to work in Hyper-V? I got it up and running and installed windows XP in a VM but no network adapter was installed with it. I selected the physical network card that the server 2008 machine uses but i don't see many configuration options like NAT and all that?

Until you install the add ins, you have to stick with the legacy network card type for XP to detect a network card.

What virtual switches have you built so far?

Which NIC did you add to the guest? If you added a standard NIC, nessus is correct, you must install the integration tools for this to be functional. If for whatever reason you don't want these installed, reconfigure the guest with a legacy network device. This should be automatically detected by Windows.

Once a NIC is added to a guest, you need to make sure that you've selected a network at the top of the NIC configuration screen within the guest's options. You should have created a basic bridged network during the installation of Hyper-V (I believe this is the default), however you can configure different networks using the "Virtual Network Manager" option on the main Hyper-V console screen.

Well first you have make a virtual network switch in the main hyper-v settings.

Then you need to use a legacy network adapter for XP until you setup the hyper-v addins.

Back