Networking a couple PCs

TheCommander

2[H]4U
What would be the best way to network two computers to each other for gaming? I know I can do it with a crossover cable but was wondering if it's possible to do so with a router?

If you don't already have a router or a switch then a crossover cable will work just as well, and will be quite a bit cheaper.

a router in itself will not work...

now a base station that you'd buy at the store would...

my point is, you need a switch...

modern consumer "routers" (which i hope is what you are referring to) are generally a router, a 4 port switch, a dhcp server, and a firewall all in one...

what you need is a switch, hub, or why not just get a x-over cable, just remember if you do choose these, it may be best to manually assign your boxes addresses instead of relying on microsoft

I'm assuming the OP was referring to a consumer-type router, in which case he could use the switch side to do what he wants to do.

TheCommander said:
The router I'm using is a D-Link Di-624
http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=6

How would I go about connecting both through a router? I already have everything wired and am trying to figure how to get them to connect to eachother.

If you have all your PCs physically attched to the router itself (the switch part of the router), then you should be able to ping each PC. You can test this by going to a command prompt on each machine and typing : ipconfig Write down the IP of each, then try pinging each from each other (Start -> Run -> cmd -> type: ping x.x.x.x --filling in the IP address of each and make sure you have no packet loss)

Assuming that works, make sure you have no firewall restrictions, and you have file sharing and client for MS networks installed. It would be a good idea to have each machine in the same workgroup as well. Id reccomend sharing the dirs on each machine youd like to access from another and setting the security and sharing security to EVERYONE.

You could try browsing via Entire Network, or you could try using the UNC names to bring up an administrative share or the shares you've enabled (open a new window and try \\x.x.x.x\C$ )

IF you have never done this before it can be a little tricky, some of my steps are not always needed, and i think your best best is to do a google on WINDOWS FILE SHARING.

Back