Networking a building need help.

ZeroOne

Limp Gawd
I just got a project to network my fraternity, I want to put in Cat 6 cabeling and a 24 port switch. I found this website http://www.cat5ecableguy.com/cat655patcab.html for the cabeling and it seems like they have the wall mounts too.
I wanted to know if anyone know of a better priced site and also of where can I found conduits which I can use for the cabeling since the walls are concrete.

I am not too up on the prices of cat6, but I do know that if you plan on making drops and patch cables, buying in bulk (ie: 1000ft) is your best bet to save money. If you do this you would have to learn how to make cables, but it's not very hard at all.

What fraternity are you in?

1000ft of Cat5e is $35 at Home Depot. I think they have cat6 too. Ends can be had for (I think) $10 for a bag of 50, and I've seen the tool for under $10. Google for instructions and print it out in color.

Consider putting a switch on each floor. That way you only have to run 1 wire between each floor, or maybe 1 wire from each floor to the central router, rather than dealing with 24 wires at a time.

I think we can only afford 1 switch since they are so expensive. I will probobly just run it through a conduit to the third floor and first floor from the second floor.

Do you know if it's ok to route shielded cat 5e through the electrical conduit without getting too much interference?

Yowsers I am from sigma pi heard of it?

How many floors and users/floor are you looking at? A Linksys 8 port switch can be had for $42. If you wire the place yourself you should save enough for at least 2 of those. How much were you going to pay for the 24? Maybe you can cut that back. Put a big enough switch on each floor to handle that floor. Run them all down to the main switch which is big enough to handle that many connections.

<disclaimer> I am not a network expert. I may be overlooking something here. I'm just trying to help.</disclaimer>

Get a cheap SMC 24 Port You can get them for about 140 CDN. Cat 6 is about 120 CDN its almost twice the price of cat5. Cat 6 is much harder to work with as well hands get much more cramped up working with cat 6 vs cat 5. Get a good crimper as well cause a crapy one will make shity ends and usualy doesn't last very long.

Back