network won't work with Wifi G Router

Jynus

n00b
Ok, i just set up a network with a Microsoft G series Wireless Base Station. 3 computers, 1 with win98, 2 with XP. One of the XP computers is wireless, the other 2 are wired. All 3 have internet no problem.

However, not a single one can browse the network. Doubleclick on network, and is says "network is not available" for all three comps. with other networks i normally can at least see the computer i'm using listed there, but in this case, nothing. it's like my nic isn't even plugged in. i tried ping, no problems pinging gateway or internet, but cannot ping any of the other computers. i can't even ping the computers own ip??! all 3 comps have same workgroup, and file sharing turned on with files shared.

Now, when i first set up the network, i was able to share files, i even transfered a couple. but i have no idea what i did to change this. i tried resetting the base station and starting everything over from scratch, same issue.?!? the only changes i made that i'm aware of since the base station had a working network is i turned on wireless security and updated the base station drivers/firmware. (that might be it?)

any ideas, any more questions for me to answer? i have no idea on this one. so help please

do you have mac address filtering enabled for the wireless? i've got a friend with a d-link AP that had issues with communications between his wired machines and his wireless ones until he added the mac addresses of the wired into the allowed mac table for the wireless. logically, it shouldnt matter, but it's worth a shot.

also, are all the machines running dhcp, or do you have static addresses set up?

i'll try that, thanks. and it's dhcp. nothing static

UPDATE:
K, this is strange. on my 2 wired comps (one win98, one XP) I can ping the win98 comp with the xp comp, but can't ping the xp with the win98.

In addition, on the xp, if i use the microsoft broadband networking utility, it can view the win98 comp on it's network list, and i can access the win98 comp and see the shared files. but i can't do the same using the regular built in XP network viewer. with the win98 comp, it's still blind to everything

You might have WEP on, MAC address filtering, umm.. Misconfigured on the client machines?

i do have wep on, would that effect network access with the wired machines? i shuld turn it off and see what happens...

Originally posted by Zwitterion
MAC address filtering, umm..

well, it's not likely to be the problem, but i've seen it before. the friend that's had the issues has a first gen dlink combo 802.11A/B AP (not router) and it's rather quirky.

Back