Network Project

AnotherUser

Limp Gawd
First time poster, long time lurker.

What I've got here is a project I'm about to start for a co-worker, just looking for some input.

All network cables are run to a central location and out to multiple locations including office, spare bed, living room, bathroom, kitchen and out to the deck/patio.

The problem here is the office & living room both need ethernet + a phoneline. Each location only has 1 line run to it and chances of a second being run are slim. I know I can split the cable and use 1 of the 4 pairs for phone but I'd rather not. Ethernet over power line?

I'm also looking to clean up everything coming into this box:

I'm also thinking about moving the router & modem to the closet with this box.

The initial phone line comes into this box where there is a whole house filter (DSL) so that's nice. Obviously the coax also comes in here, not sure how I'll organize this yet since it's Dish and not regular cable.

Any suggestions?

Is it possible to use the current run as a draw string and pull two cables that way? Not sure what the configuration of the house is like.

Is it possible to use the current run as a draw string and pull two cables that way? Not sure what the configuration of the house is like.

This I thought of and will take a look into this, I'm not sure it's possible though.

You need all 4 pair for ethernet.
You can't swipe one pair for telco and still use the other six for ethernet.

Yes you can, as long as your not trying to use 1GBit. 10 MBit and 100MBit only use 2 pairs. (pins 1, 2, 3, and 6 if I recall) They even sell adaptors to let you run 2 10/100 Mbit connections using 1 RJ45 jack, or you can manually split it out to 2 separate jacks. Gigabit on the other hand uses all 4 pairs but for most in-home applications 100 MBit is sufficient.

UGH. That wiring is just sad...wirenuts on phone lines, typical sparky.
You can run ethernet on 2 pairs and phone on the other 2 but I don't recommend it.

You can run ethernet on 2 pairs and phone on the other 2 but I don't recommend it.

Sounds like we are going to attempt to get another line added so this is really no longer a worry. Now I just need to figure out how to organize everything into or around this small box. I'd like to patch everything but I'm not sure I can fit that into this box.

I don't recommend it either. If you ever have to troubleshoot, it becomes a nightmare. Options as I see it are:
Run new cable (contractor/buddy/u-pull/sawzall)
WiFi
Steal neighbor's WiFi
PowerLine

Pretty much in order of preference, except PowerLine would not make my personal list.

If it were me, I would put a piece of plywood on the wall. Paint it so it looks nice. Drill a hole or two and run the cables in from the enclosure. Mount everything on the plywood. Forget that media panel exists :)

Yes you can, as long as your not trying to use 1GBit. 10 MBit and 100MBit only use 2 pairs. (pins 1, 2, 3, and 6 if I recall) They even sell adaptors to let you run 2 10/100 Mbit connections using 1 RJ45 jack, or you can manually split it out to 2 separate jacks. Gigabit on the other hand uses all 4 pairs but for most in-home applications 100 MBit is sufficient.

You are correct.
I just wired my house using all Cat6 which will be used for networking, media streaming, security, IP Cameras, etc. Wiring a house in 2011 and limiting yourself to 10/100 is not something I would consider.

If it were me, I would put a piece of plywood on the wall. Paint it so it looks nice. Drill a hole or two and run the cables in from the enclosure. Mount everything on the plywood. Forget that media panel exists :)

Well said. Drop a well labeled punchdown block for the phones, and a small patch panel for the network and bolt down the distrobution to the plywood panel and it'll shine :)

I will either go with the board on the wall plan or the following:

Mount one of these on the wall:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...d=1051602&p_id=8628&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

Add in a patch panel, switch, PDU & an empty shelf for the modem and router to sit on.

The NID or whatever you wish to call it will be mouned somewhere in the back, I still am not sure what to do with the COAX, may add some sort of patch panel for it but that may become messy.

How much coax are we talking? This will look perfect with some nice zip tie work on the cables :D

Pick up a label maker, label each cable as you go, and future headaches will mostly be eliminated

How much coax are we talking? This will look perfect with some nice zip tie work on the cables :D

Pick up a label maker, label each cable as you go, and future headaches will mostly be eliminated

I don't recall how many drops, probably the same as the ethernet as the cable he used when initially ran was joined ethernet. I've got a nice label maker, has the nice option for cables.

I think I'm going to stick with the plan that I presented earlier but I may keep that box there for the runs to come out of and also manage the coax in there, will see.

Here is a mock up of the setup

QjExUl.jpg

Have short ethernet cables for patch to switch, modem will sit on shelf on the bottom.

I've not yet figured out how I want to manage wires behind here, we'll see what happens when I get it all setup.

I've still not found some solutions for audio/video, other post here: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1651239

I'm not really worried about the phones much, just need phone lines to 2 receivers unless he upgrades to a receiver that networks and then not at all.

You are correct.
I just wired my house using all Cat6 which will be used for networking, media streaming, security, IP Cameras, etc. Wiring a house in 2011 and limiting yourself to 10/100 is not something I would consider.

considering i have some ripped HD movies that saturated my 100Mb switch before and caused lag, now imagine streaming to 2-3 drives at one time?

considering i have some ripped HD movies that saturated my 100Mb switch before and caused lag, now imagine streaming to 2-3 drives at one time?

Do you mind me asking what format the files were and how you were streaming them? I've NEVER had an HD file take more than ~20MB/s PEAK. Just curious :p

Update: Stated the project, got most of everything mounted but it's time for clean up now. Got to figure out what to do with the wires going up from the box to the patch. I'll end up using the correct sized cables and all, was just getting the DSL and phone back up before I left.

ldfe3l.jpg

VQ52rl.jpg

I would just bundle the cables coming out of the enclosure and secure them to the wall under the patch panel using tie wraps. Mount the NID to the wall. I'm sure you can do something with that DSL splitter.

If it were me, id take it down, and use a metal hole saw and cut a hole in it. Putting the hole so it lines up with the stud bay, then re-mount it back on the wall and fish the wires *UP* through the stud bay, and into the panel..

If it were me, id take it down, and use a metal hole saw and cut a hole in it. Putting the hole so it lines up with the stud bay, then re-mount it back on the wall and fish the wires *UP* through the stud bay, and into the panel..

We may do this and if we do, that would enable me to push the patch panel up towards the top where I wanted it, I think.

I am surprised that wall bracket doesn't have any holes in the back (that we can see). Most of them have a decent sized slot in the back for running wire through.
My original thought was for the OP to mount plywood over the media panel, then mount the bracket etc on the plywood. That way you don't even see the media panel :)

I am surprised that wall bracket doesn't have any holes in the back (that we can see). Most of them have a decent sized slot in the back for running wire through.
My original thought was for the OP to mount plywood over the media panel, then mount the bracket etc on the plywood. That way you don't even see the media panel :)

How are you going to gain access to it then ? take everything off the wall ?

My idea would to drill holes in the plywood, mount over the media panel and run all the wires out through the holes. Mount splitters, patch panel, switch, router, whatever to the plywood.
I did not think access into the enclosure to run additional wire in the future, if that is what you meant.

The media panel will hold all coax splitters, boosters etc. so that is why it's kept.

Also, there is a conduit running into the box so putting plywood over it would hinder new runs, although I'm not sure what we'd do with new ethernet runs that will be coming down a different side.

The media panel will hold all coax splitters, boosters etc. so that is why it's kept.

Also, there is a conduit running into the box so putting plywood over it would hinder new runs, although I'm not sure what we'd do with new ethernet runs that will be coming down a different side.

could loop them right back up out the top to the patch panel ? Ive seen this before and done it too.

Nice work. I've been thinking of doing something similar.

Is that the monoprice wall 7U wall mount? Also what shelf is that at the bottom?

Wall Mount Bracket

PDU

Shelf

Switch

Monoprice 1" cables :cool:

Also added Linksys E1200 in the kitchen in addition to Linksys unknown in the office.

The media box will be closed off with it's front panel now and an outlet will eventually be run for the PDU so it does not span across the closet.

There is 1 set of ethernet/coax left out on the porch but that will be done later on. Another project in the future may be a guest house above the garage, this would be a nice chance to have more wires run per location and have it all done like this setup to begin with.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Wall Mount Bracket

PDU

Shelf

Switch

Monoprice 1" cables :cool:

Also added Linksys E1200 in the kitchen in addition to Linksys unknown in the office.

The media box will be closed off with it's front panel now and an outlet will eventually be run for the PDU so it does not span across the closet.

There is 1 set of ethernet/coax left out on the porch but that will be done later on. Another project in the future may be a guest house above the garage, this would be a nice chance to have more wires run per location and have it all done like this setup to begin with.

You did a great job, congrats :)

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back