network problem! desperate!

Riddlinkidstoner

Supreme [H]ardness
Ok I have a small office network with several routers running through my office. Someone tried to setup a new network with the setup network wizard and then all the internet stopped working in the office except for the computer directly connected to the router. What do I do to fix this?

Could you specify a little more on how this is all connected?

you have a bunch of PCs connected to a switch or a router?

The switch or the router connects to what?

im not sure...but theres an internet gateway that can't be disabled. Everytime I try to check the status it closes by itself...immediately.

if you know who ran the network wizard you can try to disconnect their cable to see if the internet comes back

already tried...wouldn't work.

I tried to ipconfig release and renew...only worked for the computer directly connected to the modem. All the other computers say some kind of error.

What are the TCP/IP settings of the computer that work?

When you do an ipconfig /all what is your IP, DNS, and Default Gateway?

What are the computers that aren't connected showing?

What (physical connection-wise) is different between the one that is working and the ones that aren't?

please explain router/internet connection setup first, you say you have "routers" in the small office, please explain so we can help you, is the pc connected to the router running ICS?

Shut off uPNP on all routers.

I'm guessing with XP being as dumb as it is it's trying to make one of the PCs become a router so all others on the network have to go through it for internet access via ICS.

Try that.

heh, nice handle:rolleyes:

sounds like there is a rouge DHCP server setup somewhere giving out IPs with a gateway that dosen't exist.

can you ping anything from the host PC? Gateway? other local hosts? localhost?

you didnt really specify what type of routers were talking about here... more specifics would help.

but, unplug the idiot computer, and then power off everything. maybe wait a few minutes of packet silence just for good measure.

bring up the routers, and your trusted admin machine, check whats there, make sure the network infrastructure is working as its supposed to. after the routers are behaving again as they did before, then start bringing up the computers.

that one machine, if its XP, then hit the system restore and restore it from a few days ago. if it wont restore, im not sure how to effectively remove those settings the wizard did, so it may have to be reimaged.

yeah bro, if you want help give more specifics ..and on top of that know what your talking about when you ask the questions...I.E. "some kind of error message", well tell us what the error message is exactly..otherwise how are we supposed to know what the hell your talking about.

Back