network neighbourhood p/w

lazi_lad

Gawd
pc is win98/win2000 dual boot
win98 HDs can access and can be accessed by other pcs within network, no p/w needed

in win2000 needs p/w ... i forgot what it is? can i find out? the p/w isnt the same as me log in is it?

because login is "Adminstrator" (yes, capital A and rest are smaller case letters), pw is XXX... all in caps. yes i had caps on, yes i tried no caps .... can i recover my p/w so i can access shared pcs over the network>

the share wants you to authenticate with a user/pass combo for an account setup on that machine. You can either create a duplicate account on the machine your on (if it's 98/ME just use that account to logon using the MS client), the one trying to get to the share, or right click My Computer or Network Places, Map drive, and use the "connect using a different user name" function. User rights. You could also just enable the guest account on the 2000 machine.

On a side note if your not sure what your administrator password is, you should be able to right click on My Computer, select Manage, Expand Local Users and Groups, Click on Users, Right click on Administrator, and select Set Password. This is where you'd set up other accounts also if you needed them.

When you try to connect to the Windows 2000 machine from a Windows 98 machine, are you getting a true login ? e.g. username and password, or is it asking for a password only?

Typically if you are receiving a password only box for the IPC$ share, then your Win98 computers are not using the same workgroup name as the Win2k computer.

Back