netbook repair

Modder man

[H]ard|Gawd
trying to repair a netbook for a friend, i have taken the drive out and put it into my computer to recover files before i format

problem is my computer tells me that i do not have permission to access any of the folders

I believe you have to "take ownership" of the drive. Sorry, that s all I got, maybe Google that and see ?? Or like Och said, get a boot cd, etc.

Yeah...
1)Give ownership to YOUR account (not Administrator or Administrators) and be sure to check the apply to subfolders button.

2)At this point, in theory you should be able to just close explorer and reopen it, but often you will have to either remount the drive or restart the computer - not sure why.

3)Give full rights to yourself and remove all acl entries for TrustedInstaller (folders w/trustedinstaller rights get special protection). Again, be sure to check the apply to subfolders button when doing this. Actually, I'd recommend that you remove rights for ALL system accounts except your own (including Administrator/Administrators/System) and give full rights to Everyone just because it will save headaches should you need to use this drive in a different computer.

4)Finally, you may have to do the unmount/reboot thing.

The above is only needed for Win 7 or Vista; in WinXP, giving yourself full rights will be sufficient. Also, I would not recommend using the command line tools for this since they don't have the options you need yet and are therefore semi-broken IMHO.

Last edited:
ii tired giving myself ownerships says i do not have permission to do that either

ii tired giving myself ownerships says i do not have permission to do that either
You have to do that as administrator (start menu->type explorer in search box->ctrl+shift+right click->run as administrator)

Back