• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Nekkid boxen question

magnusvir

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Sep 7, 2004
Messages
1,165
I have an old Dell P4 1.4ghz here. It has just been replaced by an A64 and I intend to take the Dell back to college for some folding. The problem is that the case is too heavy to take back since I will be flying.

I would like to have the boxen running nekkid but I am worried about fire hazards, especially with the PSU. I am wondering whether these old Dell mobos would fit in a normal case. Since I have the PSU already, I could easily get a cheap case back in college.

Help a new farmer out with my problems.
 
Heck, ask Relic. You can use a pizza box (non-greasy). I have 3 machines sitting there naked. Just had to put some thin wood (you could use cardboard) under them so the PCI video cards sit in their sockets properly. There shouldn't be any issues with the power supply; it's commonly done this way.

As long as none of your college buddies/roommates spill any liquids on the machines, it's safe enough.
 
Well, for many years the standard folding box was a Pizza Box, fire wasn’t an issue. Although Dell may use some proprietary parts I’m sure you could pick up a cheap case (with good ventilation) and just bolt everything right in.

Luck

 
Back
Top